Worrying boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a problem the last few days with my Worcester condensing boiler going off and leaving me with a flashing blue light. I've picked up from this forum and others that the outflow pipe beneath the boiler can freeze up, and I've defrosted it a few times over the last few days, but now I just can't seem to fix it.

Even more worrying, the pipes out of the boiler are running so hot that they've completely melted the foam lagging that wraps them.

Also, I've just noticed that when the boiler goes off, the pressure gauge is showing 3-4 bar as opposed to around 1-2.

I know absolutely nothing about central heating or plumbing, but I've had a number of concerns with the plumber who's done all of this work (new boiler and some other bits and pieces) but as I'm renting my home I can't get anyone else to do it.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for? Especially anything that will get the heating back on sharpish!!

Also, forgot to mention that the pump above the boiler rattles like crazy all the time, particularly this last few days...

Sponsored Links
I would seriously suggest you do not use it until it has been checked, for the pipes to get that hot indicates a serious problem. Whilst I appreciate you are in a difficult situation whilst renting, this is not worth leaving to chance. Could be various problems with the boiler and really needs someone who knows to look at it.

Sounds like its overheating, but as said the cause needs identifying and remedying asap.

Sponsored Links
I know absolutely nothing about central heating or plumbing, but I've had a number of concerns with the plumber who's done all of this work (new boiler and some other bits and pieces) but as I'm renting my home I can't get anyone else to do it.
Have you complained to your landlord?

Do you have a current Gas Safety Certificate? Your landlord is obliged, by law, to have your boiler tested every 12 months and provide you with a copy of the certificate.

As you have recently had a new boiler, you should have a certificate.

Check the installers name and registration number in the Gassafe Register.

Hi all,

It's been fixed now. Apparently needed a new pump, and all now seems OK.

We did get a Gas Safety Certificate, it's been inspected each year if I remember rightly. Not sure it's been done since the new boiler was fitted though.

I've tried asking the landlord to get a completely independent plumber to look at it, but they refuse to get another one. They say if there's a problem this guy needs to fix it, if he's caused it.

I was going to get someone independent yesterday, but the threat of it suddenly drew our regular guy 'round in literally 20 minutes...

It does seem to be plumbed in bizarrely. It seems like the original system may have been strangely plumbed, and this guy's taken the route of least resistance (to be fair, it's not been his job to put historic problems right).

It does mean that what should be the outflow pipe on the top of the boiler (according to the Worcester instructions) is instead the inflow pipe, which is very odd... Also, the pump sends water in three different directions as far as I can see, only one of which is the heating / hot water switch...

I might just get an independent plumber out for peace of mind that it's how it should be. Thanks for the help though everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back