Worst DIY electrics

His earlier stuff is quite helpful pov stuff for the diyer.

Blup

Sponsored Links
For entertainment I prefer Angry Nick B, or foul mouthed D Savery and Nige.
For education/instruction then our very own Flameport is my go to.

96% of the deaths cuased by people working on electrics are by falling from the ladders they were working on....FACT

Sponsored Links
I've experienced worse in my own house, although not in UK. There was a mixture of aluminium and copper wiring. They don't use twin & earth or ring mains but wiring runs in conduit high up on the wall, with junction boxes above switches and sockets. Every cable join was done by twisting and taping, most of the sockets had no earth wiring. There was not even a consumer unit as such, just a couple of randomly located MCBs, sealed by the electricity supplier (one for cheap rate, one for normal rate). Sometimes I would hear sizzling sounds due to arcing in one of the junction boxes!

I've experienced worse in my own house, although not in UK. There was a mixture of aluminium and copper wiring. They don't use twin & earth or ring mains but wiring runs in conduit high up on the wall, with junction boxes above switches and sockets. Every cable join was done by twisting and taping, most of the sockets had no earth wiring. There was not even a consumer unit as such, just a couple of randomly located MCBs, sealed by the electricity supplier (one for cheap rate, one for normal rate). Sometimes I would hear sizzling sounds due to arcing in one of the junction boxes!

Sounds like Hungary. Using conduit and radial circuits is generally considered a good thing, twisting and taping wires, particularly aluminium ones, not so much. Hungarian installations do tend to have consumer units though. Apparently back in communist days choc blocks weren‘t available and twisting and taping was the accepted standard practice (same in the USSR). Of course plenty of old-timers refuse to learn new tricks and still twist and tape, even though Wagos are available in every DIY store.

NB: this was specifically a Hungarian and Soviet thing. Czechoslovakia had plenty of JBs with built-in terminals and GDR electricians loved crimp splices filled with dielectric grease to prevent Al corrosion. GDR installations are outdated because of Al wires and TN-C (two conductors with neutral and earth terminals jumpered at each socket and light) but usually very neatly done.

I watched this video - it's bad but I have seen much worse

In my mind the most dangerous stuff is incompetent work outside and in bathrooms (special locations) where there is a bigger chance for water ingress. In my first property there was an electric shower on the wall with a T+E clipped down the wall into the top of the shower unit. No RCD protection just rewireable fuses. Accident waiting to happen is an understatement! I can't believe that shower had never shorted out with water dripping down the cable, unbelievable.

Nick Bundy's latest video with the "professionals" installing a bathroom in a relative's house is much worse, imo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back