Worth Putting Underfloor heating in the kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced the joists in the kitchen (uneven floor due to now repaired structural issue).

The kitchen was gutted and I have a new one to go in. The Area is 4.4m x 5.6m but a U shape as it has a structural wall down the middle.

We're going to have either tiles or possible laminate down. Because of where the units will run, and that we have 2 very large windows looking out on the garden, there are not many places radiators can be placed (there were 2 long short ones under the windows I have removed - they can be put back)

I'm thinking underfloor heating may be worth putting in at this point, and wondered what other people's opinion was, and any recommendations, or if it wasnt a good idea. The floor area to heat would be 6m2 through the kitchen area, and 8-10m2 on the other side of the structural wall (the other side of the U)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only consider it if you have an insulated floor to current building regs.

Otherwise you will struggle to get enough heat and if electric running costs will be too much.

if a wet system, you can’t really just use the old rad tails…..

Only consider it if you have an insulated floor to current building regs.

Otherwise you will struggle to get enough heat and if electric running costs will be too much.

if a wet system, you can’t really just use the old rad tails…..

Because of the unusual layout of the bungalow which is on a slope, you walk down stairs to the garden and a few rooms at the back, the ceiling of one room including the boiler room came down to replace the joists so insulating isn't an issue / massive difficulty.

I've see the wet floor heating and the one between joists looks feesable. The boiler room (unvented cylinder system if that's right was installed last year) is under the kitchen area too.

if its worth doing, can I run pipes / a system ready for a plumber to hook up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back