Worth trying to repair jigsaw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have got an Dewalt jigsaw (about 7 years old). It has done a fair amount of work and it is good quality. it suddenly stopped working; the plug fuse is OK. Could this be burn-out? Is it worth trying to repair it or is it time to buy a new one? If it is worth trying to repair it, where or how?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just a couple of wee tests before the wheely bin beckons....by all means unscrew the carbon brushes and see if they are worn, and then, if you have a multi meter, check for cable continuity from the plug to the switch, and then out of the switch again.
There's probably a capacitor lurking in the handle - see if there's any burning around that.
John :)

I will look at these things, thanks

I want to be environmentally friendly and not throw it away yet.
OK, it's not true, I am tight fisted and I do not want to buy another one.

And dont throw it away if you cannot fix it.
Offer it on Freegle as someone else might know more about fixing them :)

Sponsored Links
usually when they suddenly stop working is a good thing

usually if the motor[windings] -the brushes-and the switch they play up first

Thanks all
I was lucky on this occasion. One of the wires in the swtich had come off so I just replaced it. Come to think of it, it is not well designed as it should be better secured with the vibration it gets. I will offer Dewalt my design services.
I have just saved £250 on a quality jigsaw which I spent on a playhouse for my kids and I need the jigsaw to make its base.

Thanks all
I was lucky on this occasion. One of the wires in the swtich had come off so I just replaced it. Come to think of it, it is not well designed as it should be better secured with the vibration it gets. I will offer Dewalt my design services.
I have just saved £250 on a quality jugsaw which I spent on a playhouse for my kids and I need the jigsaw to make its base.
Always nice when it's an easy fix. :)
I wonder how many power tools end up in the skip because of knacked leads or loose connections.

Thanks all

Nothing lasts forever though, my experience with dewalt has been pretty good, i have a 24v sds, various cordless drills and impacts/jigsaw/recip/thermometer/inspection camera/nailer and a 708 slider, the only trouble i've ever had was with the trigger on the nailer....which just packed up.

Took it to a local tool shop who was a dewalt agent, didn't buy the tool from them, they told me 2 days and they'll ring me, well by the time i got home they fixed it with a new trigger and rung me, picked the tool up the following day and to top it off they didn't charge me a penny.....i didn't even buy the tool from them

Bosch do something similar but they'll send a courier to pick the tool up, fix it and send it back, again good service and to me that is just as important as the tool itself, nothing lasts forever but when it breaks i want to see customer service kick in, upto now i can't fault dewalt and my local dewalt agent.....hope they're all like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back