Dishwasher blown fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

My mother in laws dishwasher has stopped working. Every time I replace the fuse and turn on the plug it blows.

It is about 5 years old and she's not sure to repair or replace it.

Is it worth calling someone out and repairing it or will it just be better to renew it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First thing would be to check the flex for damage and that you are using the correct rating of fuse for the appliance.

Is it worth calling someone out and repairing it or will it just be better to renew it.

Impossible to answer. You need to consider:-
What's the repair estimate?
What would be its current value?
What would be the cost of a new (or used) replacement?
How keen is she to keep it?

Thanks both.

She has been out of the house for about 6 months, so it hasn't been used. She then used it for about 2 weeks when she moved back and it was fine, then it just stopped working. I replaced the fuse and there was a bang.
I then tried something else in the socket and it worked fine, so it ruled that out.

It's about 3 years old and she could probably get another one for around £200.

I just thought that there would be a minimum call out for an engineer.

I think I'll take it out and check everything first and maybe I'll come across a noticeable problem.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the fuse is blowing as soon as it's turned on then something is shorting somewhere. The element is a prime suspect as they have a habit of breaking. It is just a glorified light bulb after all. Strange though that it happens as soon as turned on as I would have though that the element wouldn't power up at that point. Perhaps you need to get some quotes for a repair and go from there. It's hard to tell how much, of course, as it depends what is wrong with it. Personally I'd have a go at finding the fault. If you're good with troubleshooting and can work a multimeter, I'd say you have a good chance at fixing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back