would i need planning for velux cabrio windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would i need planning for these? its just a velux really but the bottom bit opens and has a side bit to stop it flopping down, not a permanent balcony structure

im semi-detached

0VK3x.jpg

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiAvGaiSeg

thanks for any advice :D, also im based in Scotland not sure if its different

Sponsored Links
i would automatically say no as it is a roof window, but then i know that planners (in England anyway) get very cautious about 'balconies'! might be worht a phone call to local planning officer - make it a general enquiry rather than for your specific property!

please come back with anything you find out - it is an interesting one!

Edyd Myers
Polstar Building Design

That type of window folds down flat - or more precisely does not project more than 150mm from the roof, and so would be permitted development - ie no permission required

Sponsored Links
So ^woody^ you're saying a product that is promoted as a balcony is allowed under rules that specifically do not allow the installation of a balcony?

Yes, it is just a window - which it will be for the majority of the time. It is not a balcony, rather once opened it has some guarding

So you just say to the planners I won't use it as a balcony much?

(even though we both know it will never get used by the OP :mrgreen:)

It does not meet the definition of a balcony in terms of planning permission - it is still a roof window

GPDO guidance

Class A

A balcony is defined as a platform with a rail, balustrade or parapet projecting outside an upper storey of a building.

FAQ's

Class B. 1 (d) (i) – addition or alteration to dwellinghouse roof.
Q. Clarification sought on the provision of a balustrade or safety barrier set in front of French doors.

A. The provision of a balustrade where there is no external access is permitted under Class B.

Despite Velux describing the Cabrio as a "balcony roof window", in planning terms it is not a balcony, and the window is PD under the GPDO 2008

We'll break for lunch now and class will resume at 2:30 prompt :p

H'mm not overly convinced Mr ^woody^, would you say you can or cannot access the outside with this type of window?

Not unless you were Raffles or a fireman

Seriously, the point is it is a window not a door so can't be accessed from the outside - no handle

H'mm still not convinced Sir, I'd be recommending a CLD if I ever get a client who's a bit bonkers and wants one.

H'mm still not convinced Sir, I'd be recommending a CLD if I ever get a client who's a bit bonkers and wants one.

House near my mum has a french door upstairs with no barrier outside. I'm guessing it opens outwards and there is a barrier on the inside. Presumably this is to get round the planning permission issue.

However it does look like a suicide window, and must look odd if the door are opened outwards into thin air.

Simon.

I've had this come up in the past and have had it confirmed in writing... the GDL (Cabrio Balcony) is defined as a "balcony" and therefore requires PP.

On a slightly different note, a juliette balcony is however PD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back