would i need planning for velux cabrio windows?

I've had this come up in the past and have had it confirmed in writing... the GDL (Cabrio Balcony) is defined as a "balcony" and therefore requires PP.

Confirmed by the planning inspectorate, government guidance ..... or a bloke at a particular councils planning office?

Sponsored Links
Both wrong I believe

Various inspectorate decisions and case law have considered balconies, and what a balcony is. See previous post for definition of a balcony

There are various other tests .. one of which is "Is it development?" (under the TCPA 1990). Typically as this has no material effect on external appearance, then it would not be. The window itself is PD

Others are ...... "Is it a material alteration, does it create additional usable room, does it add volume to the property?". No on all counts

Then there is the question of "impermanence" - ie the limited time the window will be open and the railings extended ... so it wont be development

So the Cabrio does not meet the definition of a "balcony", and even in use with window open and railings extended it does not become development

Never take a planners word at face value. And Velux can't even name it correctly so what do they know about planning?

I'll be sure to print a copy of your post out ^woody^ to show the planners should I ever need to ,that will secure my CLD! :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Just you send them round to me FMT :evil:

< note to self: don't answer door to any planners who come knocking >

Hi Woody - we went for one of these Cabrios under PD and now have a letter from enforcement officer saying that in his opinion (interesting..) its not considered to be PD. He goes onto say we could try and apply for retrospective planning but in this instance he has concerns about the impact of neighbouring amenities

Thing is we are a fair way away from any neighbours and can certainly not see into their houses or any more into their gardens than we can from our first floor windows...

So can I send the enforcement chap round to you :confused:

I'm calling him today - will let you kow how we progress and thanks for all your comments in this post as I'm hoping they will be useful (and right!!) :)

Hi all,

I know everyone's got a different opinion on Velux Cabrio Balcony System, but I think it's one of those things that could be argued either way. It's obviously not directly covered by the DCLG Technical Guidance, and I haven't seen any appeal decisions that have dealt with this particular issue.

If you were trying to argue that it's NOT PD, then you would have to argue that it falls within the scope of Class B (which contains restrictions against balconies), rather than Class C (which doesn't). This means arguing that it constitutes an "enlargement of a dwellinghouse", rather than "any other alteration", which means arguing that it should be assessed on the basis of its open state, rather than its retracted state. I think you could draw parallels to how a shop awning or a roller shutter normally constitute development on the basis of their open state, rather than their retracted state. You would also have to argue that the advice in the DCLG Technical Guidance that a juliette balcony doesn't constitute a "balcony" doesn't apply to a Cabrio Balcony - perhaps by drawing attention to the fact that the latter is designed to allow your upper body to be fully outside the envelope of the building.

If you were trying to argue that it IS PD, then you would either 1) accept that it falls within the scope of Class B but argue that it doesn't constitute a "balcony", or 2) argue that it falls within the scope of Class C. With regards to the latter, I think you could draw parallels to how a typical window or rooflight is normally assessed on the basis of its closed state, rather than its open state. For example, the fact that a typical rooflight would project more than 15cm from the plane of the roof slope when open wouldn't cause it to fail C.1(a) because it's accepted that it should be assessed on the basis of its closed state.

Thanks,
Steve

Well it finally seems like we've got somebody on this thread who knows what they are talking about !

I've had this come up in the past and have had it confirmed in writing... the GDL (Cabrio Balcony) is defined as a "balcony" and therefore requires PP.

On a slightly different note, a juliette balcony is however PD.
Whoever told you that was wrong. A Velux Cabrio window would fall under class C. The rules apply in its closed state - otherwise no opening roof window would comply. Therefore, if the window complies when closed (which it does) it is allowed under PD.

Hi All , Update , talked to me planning officer in Ealing and he confirmed that so long as the window doesn't project out more than 150mm ( which it does n't ) then it would be allowed under PD. It is not a balcony under any definition . It is a Velux window above the floor of the inside of the house . Can't wait until mine is installed on the front of my house which looks out onto Horsenden Hill ( and a few neighbours opposite ! ) Hope this clears this up and helps . Always best to confirm by email with your planning officer . Regards Robin

I love reading the posts on here, This was something I had wondered about a few times but hadn't got around to asking yet.
Now what are the odds of getting a Bloomberg window/balcony passed under PD?

Zero ?? That is definitely a balcony so I would expect not be allowed even under PP. Can't wait to see my Cabrio window . 2 -3 weeks . Regards

That type of window folds down flat - or more precisely does not project more than 150mm from the roof, and so would be permitted development - ie no permission required

Presumably you mean 150mm from the roof when closed? 'Cos it obviously sticks out more than 6" when open.

Hi Woody , Don't know how you did nt loose your temper with that male appendage called Freddiemercuury...what a twot !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back