Would Lazer level work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am screeding my floor.

As I walk in to kitchen from bottoom of stairs, the floor slopes from 0-8cm depth over a 4m span and also from left to right slightly. I want to the floor to be level with where I walk into the kitchen.

Is there a Lazer level out there that can shine a Lazer around the whole room, but effectively starting the lazer at floor level? (I will start Lazer level at enterance of kitchen floor)

Don't want to spend much on one if I can help

cheers

Sponsored Links
One should do what you need, but check the claimed accuracy before purchase and if it is a 'self levelling' type.

You would not be able to use it at floor level, rather you would use a bit of timber marked with a reference point to aim for, to offset from the floor level - if that is what you were asking?

I used a self levelling one outdoors, to layout my workshop 16x10 slap several years ago. I deliberately gave it a 12mm fall, in case it ever got flooded. Basically working in the dark, because lasers are not bright, I set shuttering timbers precisely to the required height, using a 1m length of timber marked with a pencil mark to aim for.

Last edited:
One should do what you need, but check the claimed accuracy before purchase and if it is a 'self levelling' type.

You would not be able to use it at floor level, rather you would use a bit of timber marked with a reference point to aim for, to offset from the floor level - if that is what you were asking?

I used a self levelling one outdoors, to layout my workshop 16x10 slap several years ago. I deliberately gave it a 12mm fall, in case it ever got flooded. Basically working in the dark, because lasers are not bright, I set shuttering timbers precisely to the required height, using a 1m length of timber marked with a pencil mark to aim for.

So I would for example set the Lazer level at a 1m height at the point I want the floor level with? So the Lazer will shine 1m above the finished floor

I then put a piece of timber at this point and draw a line where the Lazer crosses the wood.

At this point I go to the other points in the room and measure the difference based on how far above/below the Lazer level line?

I've never used Lazer level before so apologies if I come across as a dimwit

So I would for example set the Lazer level at a 1m height at the point I want the floor level with? So the Lazer will shine 1m above the finished floor

I then put a piece of timber at this point and draw a line where the Lazer crosses the wood.

At this point I go to the other points in the room and measure the difference based on how far above/below the Lazer level line?

Yes!

Sponsored Links
More expensive levels have built in audio with a continuous tone to indicate when you have achieved level and rapid tone just either side of level.

More expensive levels have built in audio with a continuous tone to indicate when you have achieved level and rapid tone just either side of level.

Mine, bought very cheaply, projects vertical and horizontal lines. I just need to set the head very roughly level, release a thumbscrew underneath the head, then switch on the beam I want. When I bought it, I checked the calibration and found it far more accurate than I was able to detect with a water level, or with a plumb-bob and line.

Yes, but they are large site lasers like the Leica Rugby and are a tad overkill for this sort of thing. Modern self levellng lasers use a pendulum system to ensure that they automatically self level. Even £60 Stanley lasers have this feature

It's laser BTW not lazer. It's an acronym for light amplification (by) stimulated emission radiation. /pedant.

ok I've been out pedanted..

pendant.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back