Would this be a 13amp bolt?

Sponsored Links
Rough bu99er, should have cut the hex head off.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A crude technique.

Wire it into the ignition so that it goes out when the engine starts.

No, certainly not.

With this:

screenshot_1412.jpg

you would not be able to get the top of the plug back on.

Use a screwdriver bit and you would.

I am told for some hospital equipment you can get a plug without a fuse, where failure of equipment could cause death, however it seems wrong to me, as you would still have RCD and MCB protection to the supply so it still could fail, so I suppose it is because the equipment uses more than 13A and they want to be able to use it in the home, however since 13A sockets could be supplied with a 16A supply from a MCB which would likely trip before any 13A fuse would blow it still seems flawed to me.

However what is shown is clearly just a photo opportunity as you could not replace the cover. I have seen vehicles with rods replacing fuses put there by the manufacturer. It was in a Lucas 2TU trailer towing unit, these 1970's devices had relays for brake light and indicators when Austin brought out a system where the brake lights were dimmed at night so to reduce dazzle, the 2TU did not load the vehicles own lighting system so bulb monitoring still worked. However in the vehicle in question it was located in a hard to reach place so the fuse was put where there was easy access, and the built in fuse holder of the 2TU had a metal bar to bridge contacts.

However with trailers it was possible for a trailer fault to cause a fuse to blow and so the driver may report and then want to use a different trailer, I can't see where a fuse would blow and you would not need assess to the plug and socket to under take replacement or repair, so I can't see why the 13A fuse would ever need replacing with a metal bar. I have seen many times where a fuse could physical be fitted that a shorting link is used correctly instead. Normally for a neutral, but can't see any reason for using a link instead of a 13A fuse.

Be it a welding set or medical equipment, if it needs more than 13A then don't use a 13A socket, simple.

I am told for some hospital equipment you can get a plug without a fuse, where failure of equipment could cause death, however it seems wrong to me, as you would still have RCD and MCB protection to the supply so it still could fail,

Memory ( from 1980's ) is fuzzy but life critical equipment did have special arrangements. Plugs with out fuses were available and with the earth pin rotated 90° so they could only be plugged into designated sockets. An MCB or RCD ( often Δ10 mA ) trip would create a "mains fail" alarm at the nurse's station and initiate a paging call to the crash team and the electrical engineer.

The Warsal plugs we had
WalsallGaugePlugComparison.jpg
were fused like any other plug, they were used to stop essential equipment from being unplugged so some one could use a floor polisher or the like. The plug without a fuse was red, I think there was some portable medical equipment which used over 13A, and the plugs were over heating with a fuse in them, fuses produce heat that's how they work, and so not having a fuse stopped the plug overheating, there was likely a fuse or trip built into the equipment to protect from fire.
jpg
I have a feeling they were not supplied without a fuse, but some one replaced the line pin with a neutral pin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back