Would this be acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. my living room is currently using a long flex extension to feed a corner lamp as the double socket is on other side of the wall , I am going to decorate in a couple of weeks and would like another double socket where the lamp currently is but the only feasible way to do this would be to channel out and run a cable horizontal . this would be not connected to the ring main . I cannot run it vertical as this would be a real pain lifting all the floorboards above but it would also mean damaging/repairing coven which is a about 14inch down and 6inch thick ... any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
If it's horizontal to the socket for its entire run, then that's fine. That is a safe zone, you must keep cables in these safe zones. Check the wiki for more info :D

Are you sure that this will be a spur from a ring circuit? In any case, one would have thought that channeling down and running the cable behind the skirting down through the floor would be the easiest option and only require a few boards to be lifted. It would be easy enough to extend the ring circuit properly although, if I were you, I'd do all the donkey work and get a spark in to connect it up it for you. Wouldn't cost much and it's best to be safe than sorry :)

Horizontally is OK Surface is also OK but to run down and then along and back up is not OK unless you use special electrical skirting which is recognisable as trunking. It's all down to safe zones.

Different subject ring, radial, spur. One is permitted with 3 meters or less to fit the overload device at destination rather than origin and this is the main point about spurs where the cable supplying is not rated at the size of the supply protective device or greater.

So using a FCU from that point no problem as many sockets as you like. Using a 16 or 20 amp MCB/Fuse as with some radials assuming using 2.5mm² cable again no problem.

But where the original socket is already on a spur which is not fused down then you can't add any more. There are a few oddities but if you consider the fuse in the plug is the protective device then only one socket can be fitted as a spur. An allowance is made for twin sockets don't know why but it is.

There is a second problem with homes undated before 2008 in that now we need RCD protection. The easy way out is to fit a RCD FCU instead to the original socket. By using a twin (not double) back box you can fit a single socket and a RCD FCU in the one box.

For an electrician we would extend the ring. But step one is to inspect and test the original and calculate if it can be extended. In the main the DIY guy has neither the test gear or knowledge to do that so the RCD FCU is the safe method.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked you if you have a socket back to back with the position you want the additional one ? Just checking ………

Regards,

DS

With that size coving and possibly small number of sockets already in place, I deduce Dr Watson that this is an old building with old wiring. :idea:

Or a new build with very deep coving which gobbled up the electrical budget !

DS :LOL:

It is okay to go directly horizontal between sockets on the same wall.
You say in your post that the socket will not be taken from the ring final circuit, please elaborate.

Also new buried cable and new sockets, require protection via 30mA RCD. You may/may not have this on your circuit at present. If not it is required.

It is okay to go directly horizontal between sockets on the same wall.
You say in your post that the socket will not betaken from the ring final circuit, please elaborate.

Also not that new buried cable and new sockets, require protection via 30mA RCD. You may/may not have this on your circuit at present. If not it is required.

I think you meant not e ;)

DS

Sorry guys maybe I will explain a bit more... this is on the ground floor and there is no cavity below, the house is about 70 years old and it was rewired before I moved in so the wiring is up to standard (surveyor report)..the coving was added later the rewire but it not the cheap stuff and quite decorative so I don't want to touch it... this will be a spur off the main ring circuit so I am not sure about the fuse... I could get away with a single socket and it will only feed a lamp

Horizontally is OK Surface is also OK but to run down and then along and back up is not OK unless you use special electrical skirting which is recognisable as trunking. It's all down to safe zones.

Different subject ring, radial, spur. One is permitted with 3 meters or less to fit the overload device at destination rather than origin and this is the main point about spurs where the cable supplying is not rated at the size of the supply protective device or greater.

So using a FCU from that point no problem as many sockets as you like. Using a 16 or 20 amp MCB/Fuse as with some radials assuming using 2.5mm² cable again no problem.

But where the original socket is already on a spur which is not fused down then you can't add any more. There are a few oddities but if you consider the fuse in the plug is the protective device then only one socket can be fitted as a spur. An allowance is made for twin sockets don't know why but it is.

There is a second problem with homes undated before 2008 in that now we need RCD protection. The easy way out is to fit a RCD FCU instead to the original socket. By using a twin (not double) back box you can fit a single socket and a RCD FCU in the one box.

For an electrician we would extend the ring. But step one is to inspect and test the original and calculate if it can be extended. In the main the DIY guy has neither the test gear or knowledge to do that so the RCD FCU is the safe method.

That is something I have not thought of.. the socket I need to come off as about 10inch above the skirting so I suppose I could remove the skirting drop down run behind the skirting and back up

That is something I have not thought of.. the socket I need to come off as about 10inch above the skirting so I suppose I could remove the skirting drop down run behind the skirting and back up

NO you cannot do that.

Cables behind skirting boards are not allowed and are not safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back