would you allow your kid to take up Boxing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My youngest has started Boxing, he's a skinny streak of p**, but he does a lot of weights and is lean and strong. He seams to be quite good and I've had feedback from those who've trained him that his got a lot of power and speed. The boxing club wants to move him up to the older adult group. I used to do martial arts at a similar age, but I am dead against him getting more in to boxing than he currently is. On the one hand its great to do something you are good at and really get in to it. On the other, I know plenty of amateur boxers who are really suffering from early dementia in their 40s.

You can't get away from the fact that having your head punched is not a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Not a chance. CTE is nasty and everything so far shows that even amateurs suffer from it.

Non contact martial art is a better option, like karate, and it gets you super fit

Blup

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not... I know from my boxing lessons that one important factor it taught me was self-discipline i.e. think before you hit out...

Do agree though that being hit on head regularly is not good for health but then how many other sports are bad for mankind?

To be honest the Pro Rugby game is becoming very unhealthy; my first boss, a Scottish international player, referee, and referee monitor disliked the Pro game for increase in players body mass, the tackles are now h heavier and harder to shake off.

My lad did Taekwondo for years because it was a good school with a very charismatic instructor, only stopping when the school disbanded about the time he was drifting into rugby.

Boxing is not for the thugs. Many now accept that it is a martial art & if the club is good then there should be no excessive worry about injuries short or long term.

My youngest has started Boxing, he's a skinny streak of p**, but he does a lot of weights and is lean and strong. He seams to be quite good and I've had feedback from those who've trained him that his got a lot of power and speed. The boxing club wants to move him up to the older adult group. I used to do martial arts at a similar age, but I am dead against him getting more in to boxing than he currently is. On the one hand its great to do something you are good at and really get in to it. On the other, I know plenty of amateur boxers who are really suffering from early dementia in their 40s.

You can't get away from the fact that having your head punched is not a good thing.

I went to boxing classes as a teenager, was told I had good timing and rythym, not fast but powerful. After about 6 weeks I got hit square on the nose really really hard, never went back.

I don't dispute the positives.
Non contact martial art is a better option, like karate, and it gets you super fit

Blup
but standing in lines, punching and kicking the air, doesn't help your joints. I was giving up, just when people realised how bad some of the traditional stuff was on your body.

Would you allow your kids to play rugby?

My youngest has played since the age of 6 (he will be 18 on the 25th) and has had concussion a few times, broken bones, mashed up conk......

I'm worried he will end up with some form of damage to his brain.

The best form of self defence, I loved it as a youngster, gave me discipline and confidence. Always found that the bullies would give you a wide berth when they knew you could handle yourself.

I would not recommend it either part or full time.

Amazon will soon have robots to do this, and stick the labels on too, so there are no future prospects in the boxing.

Sponsored Links
Back