would you

Sponsored Links
Ask him if he installs any other brands. MEM are good, IMO.

Compare his quote to someone who wants to install one of the better brands.Make sure you get , in writing, the make of CU to be fitted so that is what you get!

I bought my house with a Proteus CU in place. That was 8 years ago. It hasn't broken, it doesn't go wrong. Presumably it meets British Standards. I know that you guys don't like them. Why?

Sponsored Links
They are cheap & cheerful. The components are not particularly well made & the units are not well designed from an installer's or user's POV.

Spoke to spark,

Said he has had not problem so far with Proteus but said I can have other make if i wish to do so. He suggested Hagen, is this any good?

Hager?

They have a decent enough repuatation around these parts, think Rob (rflighting) installs a fair few of them

I have used Hager (but im not a spark). They are ok-looking, aesthetics-wise, and easy enough to fit. Though I did have a faulty RCD from them, out of the box. :(

no need to steer clear of him.just tell him you want to up the quality a bit.proteus is pretty poor imo.
at the end of the day hes probably just trying to be price competitive.

what other makes is he using around the rest of the house?

Yep, I like Hager CUs, they are decent kit and widely used on big commercial installations aswell as domestics.

Their new range of domestic CUs are very well designed, making them very easy to install, and they are good looking too. :D

The only other makes I like to use are MEM and MK (But MK are not as good as they used to be)

forgot to say i have hager in my house(new type)nice bit of kit.no i didnt fit it,i bought a new build

A Certain 'Warehouse' where you can buy 'Carphones' had all their shop fuse boards specially made by Proteus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back