Wrong size cable.

Sponsored Links
1363 says

Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords for rewirable plugs as given in Table 10, Table 11, Table 12, Table 13, Table 24, Table 26 and Table 27 of BS 6500:2000, having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm²

That doesn't sound like it's prohibited to me, just that you don't need to provide the capacity for a 2.5mm² cable.

I would wager anyone could terminate a 3C 2.5mm² YY flex more easily into a plug than a 3C 1.5mm H07-RNF.

Sorry for the late reply, not long in from work.
The appliance is a parts cleaner which uses a solvent based chemical for degreasing machine parts. Apparently it was bought around 7 years ago, (before I worked here), and the cable came with a moulded plug fitted as standard. Sometime over the years the cable got damaged and so had to be shortened, hence the fitting of a standard rubber plug. The plug appears to be a good fit with no distortion of the plug or pins and does not get hot when the machine is being used.

Sponsored Links
Stating "not exceeding 1.5 mm²" rather than "a minimum of 1.5 mm²" is not the same thing.
Of course not - they are essentially opposites (the only 'overlap' being at exactly 1.5mm²) - but who said anything about "a minimum of 1.5 mm²"???

When BS1363 says:
Provision shall be made for the entry and effective clamping without bending of 2-core and 3-core flexible cords ..... having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mm²
... it is surely simply saying that the plug must be able to clamp satisfactorily a cable up to 1.5mm² CSA. It does not say that manufacturers are 'prohibited' from manufacturing plugs that can satisfactorily clamp cables larger than that, nor that uses are 'prohibited' from using larger cable than that.

Kind Regards, John

Well, you tell me, but I'll assume that it is 50m! I suppose that's fair enough, but even with a full 13A, the VD with 1.5mm² cable would 'only' be about 19V - which probably would not significantly trouble many loads. What sort of load(s) is intended for?

Even though one doesn't usually consider Zs beyond the fixed installation, I imagine that would probably also be OK (at the end of the extension) with 1.5mm², given the 13A fuse in the plug.

Kind Regards, John

There is a section on extension leads and maximum lengths somewhere. Think it might be in I&T of In Service Equipment rather than 7671. I'll have a look if I remember but I think the gist is over a certain length, they must be RCD protected.

There is a section on extension leads and maximum lengths somewhere. Think it might be in I&T of In Service Equipment rather than 7671. I'll have a look if I remember but I think the gist is over a certain length, they must be RCD protected.
Thanks. One wouldn't expect it to be in BS7671, since that only deals with the 'installations'. At first sight, I wasn't sure that I necessarily see why the length should affect the need for RCD protection, but maybe they are thinking about Zs. However, as I wrote, with a 13A OPD, quite a high Zs would presumably be acceptable. ... or maybe there's some other reason that I'm missing!

Kind Regards, John

There is a table (15.4):
Maximum Lengths of an extension lead
1.25mm² = 12m
1.5mm² = 15m
2.5mm² = 25m

"Any extension lead exceeding the above lengths should be fitted with an RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA to ensure that the lead and apparatus are protected in the event of an earth fault" it then goes on to explain that the RCD is there for fault protection rather than additional protection.

There is a table (15.4): ...
Thanks. Table 15.4 of what?
"Any extension lead exceeding the above lengths should be fitted with an RCD with a rated residual operating current not exceeding 30mA to ensure that the lead and apparatus are protected in the event of an earth fault" it then goes on to explain that the RCD is there for fault protection rather than additional protection.
That's as I suspected, then. However, as I said, I'm not sure that those are necessarily the maximum lengths that would give adequate fault protection with a 13A OPD, are they? I need to do some sums, but would obviously have to make assumption/guesses about the Zs at the socket into which it is plugged. I suppose one would work with the 'worst case' assumption that the Zs at the socket was only just low enough in relation to its OPD - and if one considered the 'worst case' of that OPD being a B20 (or even B16), then maybe those quoted maximum lengths are not unreasonable.

Kind Regards, John

15.4 of In Service I&T of Electrical Equipment. Basically PAT testing Code of Practice.

I'm not doing no sums on a saturday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back