Wrong Tile Adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that new tiles around a bath/shower have been attached using Wickes Non Slip wall tile adhesive, which says it isn't suitable for showers on the back ...

Practically, is this an issue assuming correct grouting and sealing of the lower edge?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is an issue; who did the work, did you pay to have it done or did you DIY? You must always use the correct products for your tiles & to suit the location. In wet areas, waterproof adhesive & grout must always be used but the problem is that unless it’s an expensive epoxy product, even waterproof adhesive & grout is only water proof in the sense it won’t disintegrate when it gets wet, it still absorbs moisture. This is why it’s very important that the tile base is waterproof in wet areas, either waterproof tile backer board or tanked if just plasterboard. If the adhesive used in a wet area is not waterproof it will emulsify & fail when moisture gets through &, given what I’ve said above, it will just a question of how long it will take. The choice of product was pretty poor as well IMO, quality is the key & you tend to get what you pay for with this stuff.

Thanks. Not my bathroom fortunately, family friend of a friend tiled it.

It's a low-pressure over-bath shower which won't see that much use so I think he's happy to leave it as is - the previous (25 year old) tiles were straight onto the walls with no tanking or panelling and all was fine when they were chiselled off.

As for Wickes - your average man in the street will buy whatever is easy and cheap (as will a lot of professionals). If BAL etc. was cheap and in every retail DIY shop, I'm sure more would buy it - until then ...

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Not my bathroom fortunately, family friend of a friend tiled it.
So whose “friend of a friend” is this, yours or the unfortunate unsuspecting customers?
It's a low-pressure over-bath shower which won't see that much use so I think he's happy to leave it as is - the previous (25 year old) tiles were straight onto the walls with no tanking or panelling and all was fine when they were chiselled off.
The problem here is the use of the wrong/inappropriate adhesive. Conventional render/plaster base is not a problem, only needs tanking in wet rooms & then only partially. I was pointing out the pitfalls of using plaster board in wet areas & just threw that bit in as additional advice for good measure.
As for Wickes - your average man in the street will buy whatever is easy and cheap (as will a lot of professionals). If BAL etc. was cheap and in every retail DIY shop, I'm sure more would buy it - until then
DIY’s can be misinformed on quality/cost & mistakenly think there is no difference but if someone in the trade buys/uses cheap crap & not even the right sort of cheap crap at that then what are they professional at? Cowboys maybe cos it certainly aint tiling! Glad you appreciated my advice. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back