Wylex Fusebox??? HELP ME PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Wylex fusebox with the wire fuses, I was changing a light fitting upstairs, when I came to test it, it was finse and worked all ok then I realised that I wanted to adjust slightly so turned off the power etc... when I turned the power back on the lights for the whole of the upstairs in the house were not working, all the sockets are working but no power?? I took the light down, tried again but still nothing, I obviousilly checked the fuses and there all ok??? doesn anyone have any ideas on why this would happen?? I have tried calling numerous Electricians, every one of them said that they would come but not a single one has turned up!!
Can MCB's blow?? if I was to get new MCB's would this make the lights work

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :(

Sponsored Links
I expect you have dropped a live or neutral in the light fitting (it may look as if it is in the terminal, but is is not).

Did anything 'bang'??

What else did you do??

What are sizes of the MCB's in your board (6amp, 16amp, 32amp etc etc)?? The reason I ask is just to make sure that the lights are fed from theat board. There is always the possibility of another board lurking somewhere....

Hi Lectrician

When I turned the power back on something banged but I thought it was the fuse blowing, I did nothing else after this apart from disconnect the light I had fitted, The sizes that it says on the box as far as I can see are 5amp 15 amp & 30 amp, I have searchhed the house high and low for another box/board but nothing.. :idea:

When took the fuse out to start work, did you check that this killed the power to the light you were working on? ,if so you have deffo got the right fuse, but there might be something inline with it, if it was a 5amp it should go directly to the lights, but there is a possibilty of a fused connection unit somewhere in the lighting circuit

If it was a 30amp, it'd be either a socket circuit, and the lights connected to it via a fused connection unit, or a submain to another board

Sponsored Links
I checked the power to the light when I switched off the box, I am stumped now ;-(

When you say you checked the fuses, did you check them with a multimeter? You need to check the 5A fuses (white dots).

No I dodnt, I just checked that none of them were broken, I will get a multimeter to them later and see if thats the problem

Often the fusewire can fracture close to the screw so it looks intact, but isn't.

Just checked the fuses and there all 100%, I dont think that this is a fusebox problem...are there any electricians out there in the Cheshire area that is reliable enough to come out and give me a price?

zeppster said:
Just checked the fuses and there all 100%, I dont think that this is a fusebox problem...are there any electricians out there in the Cheshire area that is reliable enough to come out and give me a price?
phone book, yellow pages, loads in these. Look under E.

i'd think that would be livable with if you had sufficiant lamps arround the place.

Ban, that's nowt, mate!

One of my customers went without her upstairs lights for 2 years 8 months!

She only got me out to fix them when her downstairs lighting fuse blew as well!!

What a larf......

And did you take the hint about your call out charges :D

----------------------------

//www.diynot.com/services/uk/index.php?type=expert

When I was young and daft I once had a screwdriver too near a live light socket. the inevitable happened and there was a flash, and I was lucky not to have been injured. The wire fuse DIDN'T blow, but there was a chunk out of the screwdriver ! I say this to indicate that I've experienced things can blow in the circuit in order to protect the fuse :)

I think it unlikely that there is a second fusebox in the lighting circuit. Just in case your existing light fitting is not allowing you to check directly on the cable, try replacing the fitting altogether and see if you get power to the light then. Could be a broken fitting. Given that the whole of the floor is out though, this does seem a long shot.

Failing that, if you are certain the fuse is ok and you have power there, (you have checked it's there and the cable is still connected ?) and the fitting, being new, is ok, then you may have a busted cable. Given that you say all the lights are out upstairs, it may well be the run from the fusebox to the first light ?

-----

Thought for today, if the fitting you've been looking at isn't the first in the line, check out that first light fitting as well.

Had one customer last week who had been without her living room lighting for 4 years.

Dark FTW! :evil:

It didn't work when she moved in she'd had a friend 'an apprentice electrition' have a look and left her basically in the same state. (With added live bits! :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back