Wylex NHS12SL

Our reason for the choice of unit was that we have a large marine fish tank & need to avoid the heaters & lamps being turned off in the event of a house bulb blowing.

Not having RCDs will do nothing to help, and your fish tank should not be on a lighting circuit.. You or your electrician is sorely mistaken on the function of these devices.

Sponsored Links
Our reason for the choice of unit was that we have a large marine fish tank & need to avoid the heaters & lamps being turned off in the event of a house bulb blowing.

Not having RCDs will do nothing to help, and your fish tank should not be on a lighting circuit.. You or your electrician is sorely mistaken on the function of these devices.
Me probably!
I'm beginning to wonder if he may have said RCD? I don't know. I'm so confused. I just wanted to get everything together for when he gets back. I do remember he said 15 was too big and we only needed 12, and the split was to have lights etc on one and tank etc on other. Tank is fed from plug socket (sorry of that's obvious to u guys - I don't know what other info u may need to know).

We did have a conversation about changes in regulations, and the "new types" being overly sensitive.
I'm sorry - that's nonsense - RCDs are no more sensitive than they have always been, and MCBs less so than a while ago.

The electrician himself is undoubted, being one of my dad's oldest and closest friends before he passed away
Is he registered with a competent person scheme? (If not are you aware that you will be supposed to apply for Building Regulations approval in advance, describe what will be done to ensure that the work complies with them, and stump up a couple of £hundred?)

Is he qualified to the current version of the Wiring Regulations?

I'm not too concerned about whether it meets the latest "fad"
It's more than just a "fad".....

Sponsored Links
What does MCB and RCBO stand for? And what's the difference? Except the price, which I can see on ebay - ouch!

simple answers is yes, the nhxb mcb's are the correct ones for your boaed. However if you want the board to installed to the current 17th edition regs you will need to fit some rcbo's in the board. Or exchange the board you have for the Wylex nhsr10sslhi, then fit the nhxb mcb to comply with the current regs.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What does MCB and RCBO stand for?
Miniature Circuit Breaker and Residual Current Breaker with Overload.

And what's the difference?
The latter combines the function of an RCD and an MCB.

Except the price, which I can see on ebay - ouch!
Yes, they are expensive.

The best way though to avoid having multiple circuits on 1 RCD.

In reality unless you have unusual requirements or just want the best way, a board with 2 or 3 independent sections so you can have more than 1 RCD is usually fine.

The board you have bought is not that sort, and it's because your electrician recommended it that I asked how up to date he was.

Not been retired a few years, has he?

You can convert the 12SL, to dual RCD.

Juist need the RCD and cable.

Although with this users requirements, it doesn't sound like the way forward.

You can convert the 12SL, to dual RCD.

Juist need the RCD and cable.

Well you need more than thatt. The HNRS range do not have the capability for a second neutral busbar. And you'll need one of those, won't you?

I'm off to the pub now.
I hate it when customers buy their own stuff. It's a recipe for disaster..

[/quote]

I'm off to the pub now.
I hate it when customers buy their own stuff. It's a recipe for disaster..[/quote]

You got that right! I'm beginning to think I've bought the wrong thing. We didn't get into the specifics of a model. He said I need a 12 way split load wylex consumer unit. I think he was trying to keep it simple for me.
Think I'd best wait til he gets back. This is WAY more complicated than my brain will compute!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back