Y Plan + 2 port valve wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please tell me the standard way to wire in this new requirement 2 port valve into a Y plan system please.

What is the plumbing alternative to not fitting one?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Plumber wants to fit an additional 2 port value due ti new regulations.

I would like to see how it's wired in.

A 'Y' plan system has a 3-port valve, which can only close off one outlet port at a time, meaning there is always one outlet port open.

If you then add an additional 2-port valve, when that valve opens for whatever it is supplying (you haven't told us what that is) and it switches the pump & boiler on, one of the outlet ports fed by the 3-port valve will also allow water to flow through it whether it is required or not. So, using a combination of 3-port and 2-port valves on the same system doesn't work. For multiple zones you would need an S-Plan.

So as muggles says, you need to explain what you are trying to achieve with this additional valve.

due ti new regulations.
What regulations are you referring to?

Sponsored Links
I'm having an unvented cylinder replaced with another due to leak.

I assume the 2 port goes to the HW but you tell me what the new method is :)

Ah good, some useful information at last. Based on your previous information (and probably because I have done one or two recently) I thought that you were splitting your upstairs and downstairs heating into two zones to meet the new building regulations. However now you have explained what you are doing, AndyPRK is quite correct.

I assume the 2 port goes to the HW but you tell me what the new method is :)
Ah, got there in the end. Yes, the 2-port goes on the flow to the cylinder. You need a G3-Registered installer to fit the cylinder for you and register the installation with Building Control, it's not a DIY job. A competent installer will know how to wire it up correctly

Yeah the only snag is that I modified the standard wiring a few years ago, so I would like to understand if the 2 port valve will work with my modified system or whether I need to convert it back. Trying to avoid giving the poor plumber a head ache

picasso or anyone. Could you please explain the requirement for this additional valve?

Would just like to know what they were trying to achieve?

Thank you

Prevents water flowing to heat the cylinder in the event of various failures. A standard 2 port valve will be closed due to a spring inside if power is removed or the valve motor fails.

Can't be done using a Y / 3 port valve as that defaults to HW open which could result in the cylinder being overheated.

It's to isolate the heat input to the hot water cylinder. It means that the valve will fail to its closed position and stop the cylinder from overheating. I suppose the G3 regs people wanted to avoid overheating if a solid fuel heat source is used.

So if the thermostat in the cylinder fails its still no help.

If the boiler decides to keep going (when not requested) this new valve will help. Somewhat unlikely failure mode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back