Y Plan wiring - detailed!!!!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've posted a few misunderstood messages these past few days about the electrical witrings in my airing cupboard!! Anyway I now know what I have and would like to ask for some advice if possible?

I have a Y PLAN:
GRUNDFOS PUMP
3-PORT VALVE
CYLINDER STAT
ROOM STAT
PROGRAMMER

I know for a Y PLAN there should be 25 wires going into and joining up in the terminal box. Mine had only 22!! The ones missing (from checking)!! are:

1) from the mains joining up solely with the programmer (L)
2) the programmer lwirewhich joins up with the mains (L)
3) the programmer wire (N) that joins up with the blue wires from the pump, boiler, room stat, mains and 3-port valve.

I just wondered why my system is like this as it seems to work OK. But is this common? Reason I am concerned is if I ever want or need to replace my programmer will it be easily achievable?

Sponsored Links
The first two is the same wire isnt it?? How is your clock keeping time without a perm.L N?

Battery operated perhaps?

not battery operated. this is what i was wondering! i know my programmer has a separate wire running into the fused spur which is next to it (3-core) and also another wire running upstairs directly above it and into the terminal box (3-core but only 2 are used)!

the first two wires link up to one ternminal but what i mean is they are two wires, one from the mains and one from the programmer which are missing as in the y-plan wiring disgram!!

Why not just visit the Honeywell web site and download the Y plan plan.

Sponsored Links
i have the Y plan diagram, they are standard, but my wiring does not seem to match up!!! that's why i am asking for help i am confused!!!

does your boiler have a pump overrun as this will alter the layout slightly, also some people use programmers and boilers as junction boxes.

am not sure about boiler overun, will check. i have a terminal box in the airing cupboard with all the wires going into it, but as before am 3 short!! i notice that the spur that feeds the terminal box has another lead going into it directly from the porgrammer (as mentioned) and another lead with 2 cores going into it. not sure where these go, maybe to the boiler??

i thought all y plan wiring was standard, are there many variations of it then?

Which boiler (make and model) do you have?

A diagram of your wiring would help. (Use MS paint, and post to your DIYnot images file)

My boiler is Potterton Flamingo II

The wiring plan is exactly as a standard Y Plan diagram as shown on this site, apart from 3 wires missing. as mentioned in my opening post.

basically my point is if i need to replace my programmer in the future (as i replaced my cyl stat recently) will it be hard to do due to the unusualy wiring of my system (not standard)!!! ??

My boiler is Potterton Flamingo II
Thanks for the info. Looking at the wiring diagram for the Flamingo, I can see nothing out of the ordinary. It does not use a pump overrun thermostat and the boiler should get its 230V supply from the wiring centre as in the standard Y-plan diagram.

The wiring plan is exactly as a standard Y Plan diagram as shown on this site, apart from 3 wires missing. as mentioned in my opening post.
It is not exactly the same as the standard diagram; there are 3 wires missing!

You also say:
I notice that the spur that feeds the terminal box has another lead going into it directly from the programmer (as mentioned)
If this is a fused spur, then it is the supply to the heating system and this is your first missing wire. The installer has fed the programmer from this spur instead of from the wiring centre.
another lead with 2 cores going into it. not sure where these go, maybe to the boiler??
Again, if this is a fused spur, the wire is coming out not going in as it is obviously supplying electricity to something. It is probably nothing to do with the central heating, just a convenient source of electricity. Remove the fuse and check all your electrical circuits to see which one does not work (apart from the central heating ;) )

Friendly hint ;)

You have started at least three topics on this problem. You will alienate people if you do this and find that they will not bother to help. It is much better if everything is in the one topic, even if it is ten pages long!

you can see why people get the hump with plumbers and judge them as cowboys!!! when simple wiring plans go wrong and indifferent to what they are supposed to be!!!! i am not stupid, but when an i nstaller wires up my system cryptically it makes me annoyed! if i ever needed a replacement prgrammer i'd be buggered and it would be a struggle!!!

You are a messer. Blame everybody but your own ignorance.

Just get a qualified person round when you want your infernal programmer changed. If this thread goes on much more I'll come round and change it myself.

Could you imagine the question you would be asked simond.
where does that wire go
what does that wire do
why is that wire a pretty colour
why does the roomstat never click in same place
etc etc etc :rolleyes: :LOL:

stevenhayes

The diagram is only meant to be a guide. I do share your view that some on this forum "speak down" to fellow members who aren't perceived to be as knowledgable... after all this is a DIY forum.

Saying that... there is a lot of help available here... as long as personal judgments are left untyped. ;)

In sympathy... I work as an automation engineer so imagine when you find machine schematics are different to actual machine wiring... and the comments in "technical" German! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back