Y Strainer in Incoming Water Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there !

I was wondering would it be a good idea to install a 22mm compression Y in line strainer on the cold water main ? I appreciate to be able to remove it for cleaning that an isolating valve would be required on either side.

I was thinking that this might be considered to be good practice, however I would perhaps be concerned about the pressure drop across this item and the potential impact on the flow velocity ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What’s the incoming mains material? Generally, I wouldn’t say it’s needed.

Why do you feel the need to filter your incoming water, what debris do you think the suppliers throw in there?

Hi I was just thinking out loud and was wondering if it good practise to fit one to the incoming water main ?

Sponsored Links
Pressure drop/flow reduction is minimal when the filter is clean. I've got one to minimize risk of crud in the hex on the thermal store.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back