Yale 5 Lever Mortice Sashlock Spring Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made a mistake and took the cover off the lock to switch the catch round (didn't realise there was a specific screw for this until it was too late) and PING! Out pops a spring and I don't know where it fits.

Anyone know?

Cheers
Pete

Sponsored Links
Lock.jpg
Here y'go!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Pete,
I think you are correct that it will not go where I first suggested.

So in that case I believe it goes on the lower spindle to push against the flat side of the silver key hole metal. (it uses a flat plate spring in the photo I provided).

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 15.30.38.png

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 15.29.10.png

SFK

I think the spring is a bit small to fit round that on this model - will give it a go.

it does look to me like it goes on the handle follower, to return it to the "closed" position.

On some locks, the spindle is a different diameter on the lower part, under the "lug" that pushes on the latch return extension.

I haven't got a Yale here

I have a 3K74E, which is not identical but has some design similarities. You can probably see what I had in mind. It lookks like it is loosely wrapped round the spindle, but it tightens up when pre-loaded by part turning the follower before re-fitting the plate. You need a spindle or large screwdriver to hold the follower of this model in place during assembly or the spring moves it.

20180711_155838.jpg

It seems a bit big to fit round that spindle. I did send a message to Yale, but I doubt they will get back to me about it.

Pete, I know you have bought a new one, So now I am simply guessing... will it fit on the top spindle shown in this image, so that the bent bit pushes the top moving plate?

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 16.17.24.png

SFK

Lock 02.jpg
Yes it does fit on there, but there's no pressure from the spring, so it's not doing anything:

Last edited by a moderator:
That worked a treat, thanks a lot! I have fitted the lock and now the back door is secure again - it was only being held in place with a rack bolt this past couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back