Yale 6400 Alarm Help

you would be able to stop the alarm from the control panel, or over the phone..
How would the control panel stop the alarm if it is sounding because the radio channel is being jammed or blocked ?

The "statistics" about false alarms may be inaccurate since low cost wireless alarms may fall into dis-use when they are found to be not as good as the salesman claimed them to be.

Sponsored Links
The "statistics" about false alarms

It would be interesting to see these. Where did you get them from?
I do not have them. I doubt they would ever be produced for public domain by any manufacturer of an alarm system that relied on one way wireless communications on a licence exempt frequency.

What is needed to estimate the probablity of false alarms ( from un-intentional channel blocking ) is a channel occupancy survey of the loaction where the alarm is to be installed.

Intentional blocking ( criminal jamming ) is a different matter.

the issue there is once installed doesn't mean that in the future a neighbour or yourself will introduce something that may interfere.

But have to start from something that's known for certain.

Sponsored Links
the issue there is once installed doesn't mean that in the future a neighbour or yourself will introduce something that may interfere.
I can give one "statistic" related to that. A point to point telemetry system on 433.xx MHz was installed a few years ago. Aware of the problems that come with the use of licence exempt frequencies the available channels were monitored to decide which if any could be used.

The licence exempt channel 433.xx was found to be clear with only a few very low strength signals all of which were too low to affect the telemetry receivers and thus 433.xx was chosen. After a few years of trouble free operation the number of packet errors increased. It is a two way system so packets of data are checked and if found to be corrupted a request to repeat is returned and an error is logged.

Last year the error rate increased to the point the system was unable to function properly. Monitoring 433.xx found a lot of use by other equipment in the area operating legally on the channel.

As a result the system had to be changed to a more expensive line of sight link

No. And you are surely not suggesting it is a statistic.

Well I've been away from this post for a few weeks as my DHW/CH boiler failed so I have been active over on that form and with lots of assistance I have sorted that issue, so it's back to my Alarm.

Last week I bought a Yale Easy Fit Telecom kit in the Homebase sale. I have not fitted it yet but looking at the internals of the siren I'm still interested in fitting an internal Power Source. I have seen on an old previous post where a user had taken a cable to an internal location and using a Maplin Battery holder fitted the batteries where they could be easily changed out.
My question is does anyone know what size wire would be suitable, also, what should be the maximum length.

An AC/DC converter is something I'm also looking into.

Thanks

Benny.

Use batteries the same size as you would use in the siren itself. Use twin flex ( 5 amp lighting flex ) and this will be OK for several metres.

Ensure the wire cannot be reached and cut as that will disable the alarm ( in other alarms cutting the wire makes the siren sound on its internal battery )
Drill the hole for the wire through the wall behind where the siren will be fitted so it is out of sight.

Don't use an AC DC convertor for two reasons.

[1] if there is a power cut your alarm will be unable to sound should there be a break in.

[2] Radio frequency noise from the switch mode power supply may interfere with the wireless link to the siren.

Use batteries the same size as you would use in the siren itself. Use twin flex ( 5 amp lighting flex ) and this will be OK for several metres.

Ensure the wire cannot be reached and cut as that will disable the alarm ( in other alarms cutting the wire makes the siren sound on its internal battery )
Drill the hole for the wire through the wall behind where the siren will be fitted so it is out of sight.

Don't use an AC DC convertor for two reasons.

[1] if there is a power cut your alarm will be unable to sound should there be a break in.

[2] Radio frequency noise from the switch mode power supply may interfere with the wireless link to the siren.
Your input is greatly, appreciated. The AC/DC approach will now be abandoned in favour of the remote battery option. I plan to transfer the batteries supplied to the Maplin housing and solder the "extension" to the original holder. I noticed a power socket on the siren but don't plan on disturbing that.

Hi Bernard,
I've measured the cable run over the weekend and locating it in my preferred location (the live siren at the front of the property with the dummy at the rear) it works out at eleven meters. By switching them I could reduce the run to four meters.

Will it be okay to install it on the eleven meter run.

Thanks,

Benny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back