Yale Wireless Alarm Siren Box - D Cell batteries replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wireless Yale siren box takes 4x D cell batteries, the originals I got with it are powerone alkaline 1.5V Mono LR20, and have lasted 3.5 years (these are made by Varta).

I just purchased and installed 4x Varta Longlife Max Power, but the low battery warning pips still sound after setting/unsetting the alarm. These batteries test well in my battery tester, so must just not be right for the alarm siren box.

What batteries do people get for these that will last approx 3 years again?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
not familiar with the Yale, but suspect you didnt fully discharge the unit before replacing the batteries.

Not uncommon to see in other alarm devices reporting the wrong battery status because the units werent fully discharged first.

not familiar with the Yale, but suspect you didnt fully discharge the unit before replacing the batteries.

Not uncommon to see in other alarm devices reporting the wrong battery status because the units werent fully discharged first.

interesting. I did just swap each battery at a time, rather than pull all out then put new in.
How long a discharge is required? 10 seconds enough?

no idea, with the systems i use i press the tamper spring several times and seems to do the job after batteries out, on some units you short the terminals out to discharge.

if there is a power light indicator you can see it go out

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, I can confirm I did as you said, took 1 battery out and pressed tamper spring 3-4 times and the new batteries are working fine now, no battery low warning.

As a follow-up to this, the 4x Varta Longlife Max Power D Cell batteries have only lasted just over 1 year, this is a shame, I was hoping they'd last about 3 years like the originals. I'll try a different type, just need to find out which to go for...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back