Yale 6400 Alarm Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m considering installing a Yale HSA6400 alarm system.

I have read a number of instances where users experience false alarms requiring the ‘silencing’ of the Siren; also, some have mentioned the frequency of battery change-out. To minimise ladder climbing I am thinking of fitting a battery pack in my loft which would be close to the Siren and has stairs access.

I don’t know what the wiring inside of the Siren is like but I’m wondering if it’s possible to take a pair of wires out to my loft area and then power it from there, possibly with a 6v cell. All I can see in the literature is an encased battery pack on the unit which seems to contain 4 D cells. Of course this is likely to invalidate the manufactures guarantee.

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Inside the case is a battery holder, It would be easy to connect a 4.8v or thereabouts DC supply.

Another (simpler) method is to fit the siren case where you can reach it through an upstairs window but it is out of reach of an intruder. If you leave the screw loose you can lift it off the keyhole in the back. The Alkaline batteries need changing at two-year intervals or so, which is not very arduous. Lithium batteries would probably last longer. You have to turn off Tamper first at the control panel or the siren will sound when moved or opened.

You can if you wish learn-in an infinite number of additional sirens to receive and decode the signals from the control panel, so you can cout have one at the back of the house, or one concealed and out of reach inside, where the loud siren is said to disorient and upset intruders. You can often pick up extra rectangular or round sirens on fleabay, or, if you have a large house, buy an HSA6200 Standard kit for about £100 which will include a siren, four additional sensors and a keypad, all of which you can add to your 6400 system.

You can cancel an alarm without needing to take the siren off the wall, as you will have access to the control panel inside the house; or an authorised keyholder can do it remotely over the phone. The telecoms feature of the HSA6400 is one of its best features.

I don't know if you've somehow been led to believe that this system is particularly prone to false alarms. It isn't.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I greatly appreciate your suggestions and am comforted by your confidence in the products battery life.
I shall spend a little more time planning my system and may be back for more guidance.

Thank you once again.

Benny.

Another (simpler) method is to fit the siren case where you can reach it through an upstairs window but it is out of reach of an intruder. If you leave the screw loose you can lift it off the keyhole in the back. The Alkaline batteries need changing at two-year intervals or so, which is not very arduous. Lithium batteries would probably last longer. You have to turn off Tamper first at the control panel or the siren will sound when moved or opened.

lol really !
If i see any Yale boxes I know now I can flip them off with a large piece of wood ! 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Sponsored Links
I don't know if you've somehow been led to believe that this system is particularly prone to false alarms. It isn't.
Maybe the OP has read the Yale user manual and the mention of turning of the jamming detection if false alarms become too common

It is a foolish mistake to assume that mentioning a potential event is related to its frequency of occurrence.

I give up ........................................for now.

Maybe the OP has read the Yale user manual and the mention of turning of the jamming detection if false alarms become too common

My concern about accessing the siren stems more from on-line reviews on Screwfix, Amazon etc. rather than the false alarms mentioned in the instructions. While the overwhelming number of reviews are positive, where issues occur the greatest challenge, for me at least, would be accessing the siren in the event of battery change or silencing the unit in extreme circumstances (don’t want to fall out with the neighbours). Hence the desire of having easy access to the battery pack in the loft rather than getting out ladders.

you would be able to stop the alarm from the control panel, or over the phone.

However, if the siren is badly fixed to the wall, or if the wall is abnormally uneven, the Tamper switch will make it sound if not pressed securely against the wall, e.g. if disturbed or in high winds. The panel can temporarily turn off the tamper (e.g. when you are about to open the case to change the battery).

If the wall is uneven, it is recommended to fix a small flat surface to the wall under the tamper switch, for example a piece of ply, plastic or metal.

I did find it very convenient to have the siren where it can be reached from an upstairs window.

you would be able to stop the alarm from the control panel, or over the phone.

However, if the siren is badly fixed to the wall, or if the wall is abnormally uneven, the Tamper switch will make it sound if not pressed securely against the wall, e.g. if disturbed or in high winds. The panel can temporarily turn off the tamper (e.g. when you are about to open the case to change the battery).

If the wall is uneven, it is recommended to fix a small flat surface to the wall under the tamper switch, for example a piece of ply, plastic or metal.

I did find it very convenient to have the siren where it can be reached from an upstairs window.
If the siren can be disarmed in the manner you described then I shall go with the batteries in situ and hope for their longevity. I plan to run a test on their status prior to installation.

As for the state of the mounting surface; it looks fairly decent, its 1960’s brickwork so should be okay, if not, I can always use a backing plate as you suggested.

Once again thank you for your input.

Benny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back