Yale 6400 signal loss?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm getting a little annoyed ... Alarm was installed last September . It was all ok for 3 months and then the alarm kept triggering , then the panel froze and stopped working.we took it back to the shop and they replaced it free of charge. So fitted new panel and all was ok for yet again 3 months. Came downstairs one morning and bottom pir didn't set alarm off and I walked around down stairs and nothing was triggering. I thought it was a bit odd so checked alarm was set and it was as I entered code and turned it off. Since then we have had alarm set every night and when we are out of the house and now it seems every other time that we come into the house the front door contact doesn't put the alarm into countdown , it just does nothing And again I can walk freely around the house. Other times the dc will set the alarm into countdown mode. A bit concerning as if this is happening ovbiously it leaves the house quite vulnerable . Nothing has been put into the house wireless wise and nothing has moved but it does seem that the signals for whatever reason just doesn't seem to get through to the panel . Unfortunatly we live in a rented property and all we could fit was a wireless alarm as when we move we can take it with us and just fill any small holes from sensors ect. We went for the Yale as there seem to be literally hundreds on houses everywhere so although I know they aren't going to be professional grade or anything I thought they would at least work for longer then 3 months. Also looking on here and other forums they seem to a lot of people that fit these for a living so that went towards the reasoning of this choice of alarm. Not sure what to do as really annoyed as just what a little bit of warning at night time in case intruders enter the house ( there have been lots of night time burglaries lately).. Thinking of swapping to a response sl5 with extra pirs as at least they are the 868 MHz so and fm so hopefully the signals won't get lost.its a shame as at first the Yale was faultless and worked well and the pirs and dc look quite small unlike the responses.......has anybody got any ideas please as I'm about to get the ladders back out.

Sponsored Links
We went for the Yale as there seem to be literally hundreds on houses everywhere
and they are all working on the same radio frequency. They almost all use only one way communication from sensor to panel so the sensor can send a message but cannot receive confirmation it has been received. So it will not keep trying until it gets confirmation. If it sends the message when another sensor is also transmitting, either part of your alarm or a nearby house, then the panel may not receive the message clearly enough to act on it.

If your neighbour has just installed a system that would explain the increase in problems you are experiencing.

Some alarms and other equipment ( mostly imported ) that use the common frequency do not comply with the requirements to limit the time a transmitter can transmit with a break ( 10% transmit 90% break) and these rogue systems can block other equipment using the channel.

Hello and thanks to all your fast replies. I had a horrible feeling that you were going to mention about all the alarms around here ,I guess that the a re a lot of signals flying around.....I wonder if the fm 868 MHz is any more reliable as I read somewhere about them having a lot more choices with the frequency .... I have always had wired in the houses that I own but not an option here I'm afraid.....I suppose a two way signal would make a lot more sense in getting a reliable signal......I have not moved the router at all which is a good few metres from the panel and although there is a cable running to a light switch it's always been there and has seemed to not have caused a problem for the first few months ... Maybe I've just been lucky till now !.... I have been looking at visonic powermaxs as they seem not too badly priced and are two way......as I say if it were our house then I would probably go for a wired one and not have the worries as we live in Pompey so it is very built up ... I think I am going to move the panel upstairs and see what happens to start with ..... I know locks are still the best option and the idea for this alarm is more for at night time as we have a dark alley behind for scumbags to hang out in... Might get a dog or shotgun but knowing my luck I would end up letting off some pellets into my foot or get bitten by the dog!!.. Thanks again guys and I will post the findings of my expereiment. :D

......I have not moved the router at all which is a good few metres from the panel
try moving the panel and/or the suspect sensors and see if that helps. While experimenting you can easily move the panel around the house, and temporarily stick up the sensors. Blu-tak might be adequate just while you are searching for the best position. Use walk test or the test buttons to tell you if the ignal is getting through (remember the sleep period)

If this helps, it might be the electronics interfering, or some metal in the house.

I had a Yale keypad that became unreliable in communicating with the panel when steel scaffolding was erected in the stairwell, and I also found an external PIR security lamp sometimes set off the siren when it was adjacent.

It will be really interesting if you can carry out some experiments and find the cause of the problem, because we very often get alarm professionals talking about RF interference with wireless alarms, but we very rarely get a householder talking about experiencing it.

Sponsored Links
It will be really interesting if you can carry out some experiments and find the cause of the problem, because we very often get alarm professionals talking about RF interference with wireless alarms, but we very rarely get a householder talking about experiencing it.

And how many householders actually know what it is?

you appeared not to have read it.

The OP has reported a problem. Experimenting to try to find the cause is more worthwhile that guessing

No evidence yet that the guess of RF interference is correct.

Planebreaker, can you confirm that there is no PIR which might see you as you come in through the door? You do not mention "interference" so I presume it is not displayed on the panel? (have a look at your instruction book, it is not something I have ever seen)

you appeared not to have read it.

The OP has reported a problem. Experimenting to try to find the cause is more worthwhile that guessing

No evidence yet that the guess of RF interference is correct.

Planebreaker, can you confirm that there is no PIR which might see you as you come in through the door?
lol
I read the bit where you brought rf interference into it.

not me.

If it sends the message when another sensor is also transmitting, either part of your alarm or a nearby house, then the panel may not receive the message clearly enough to act on it.

If your neighbour has just installed a system that would explain the increase in problems you are experiencing.

Some alarms and other equipment ( mostly imported ) that use the common frequency do not comply with the requirements to limit the time a transmitter can transmit with a break ( 10% transmit 90% break) and these rogue systems can block other equipment using the channel.

Are you suggesting that Bernard was not talking about RF interference?

Are you suggesting that Bernard was not talking about RF interference?

Let's try again shall we?

It will be really interesting if you can carry out some experiments and find the cause of the problem,
The investigation required to find the cause would need to include at the very least monitoring the radio channel for activity.

because we very often get alarm professionals talking about RF interference with wireless alarms, but we very rarely get a householder talking about experiencing it.
House holders are told that most non profession and / or DIY systems can cope with interference. So they assume false alarms and failures to activate are equipment faults and not the result of interference.

-f what has been said is correct then changing to a response alarm at 866 will make no difference as someone could have a response alarm in your area thereby causing the same problem .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back