Yale Smarthome Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I didn't want to hijack the other thread on this type of alarm so thought it better to post a new topic...... Apologies if that was the wrong thing to do....

I am looking at installing some home automation/alarm/energy management products which can be interacted with remotely through a phone app, I find the though of sending texts/making calls a bit cumbersome to get a device to do something specific,

It would appear that there isn't much on the market that will cover all of the above bases and I have started to think it's probably safe having an alarm installed with the sole purpose of being an 'alarm'

Researching alarms has resulted in me finding the Yale Smarthome Alarm (not the smartphone one)

I have a few of questions I'm hoping someone could help me out with,

1) Can the Smarthome Alarm panel be installed somewhere remote for example the loft?

Reason I ask is that i am technically minded and i have fitted in the loft a network patch panel, the internet router and a power supply with the intention of later adding the alarm/cctv up there. I see that the Smarthome panel needs to be mains powered and also see accepts a network connection (RJ45). I'm assuming it would be safer for the panel to be installed somewhere concealed where a would be vandal cannot easily access it/tamper with it but with that in mind can a smaller keypad/receiver be installed inside the front door for use in disarming the panel?

2) Does the alarm have the facility to install a repeater in the system to ensure there are no black spots in Yales wireless coverage within the house?

2) The Yale Pet friendly PIR's, if installed are a couple of cats likely to be setting them off on a regular basis?

3) Does this alarm have a smartphone app?

4) The marketing material would suggest there are add ons which can be used to activate lights within house etc when a PIR is activated. Is there anywhere I could did out more information about these add ons? For example I don't want to have to plug a yale plug into a socket and then a lamp into that for it to work, it would be more desirable for the add on to actually integrate/replace a light switch so it turns on room lights.

5) Is this a relatively new system or can I expect a new product out in the near future that would replace this?

6) Have many people opted already for this alarm and with that is there much feedback out there in terms of performance and reliability?

Any info/advice would be great,

Sponsored Links
Read the small print about installling wireless alarm equipment close to electronic items such as wireless routers.

Can you direct me to the smll print your referring to please,

I understand this alarm utilises the 868 Mhz frequency reducing interference, that aside I can always locate the alarm on the opposite wall in the loft quite a distance away from the router

Page 4 of the Yale brochure

http://mpc.assaabloy.com/yalefile//Fetchfile.aspx?id=14560&dl=1

advises that the SmartHome alarm is not suitable for DIY install and that a professional installer should be consulted.

It is possible that in the interests of security the technical details and small print about correct installation may not be available to the general public.

Receivers on 868 MHz are not immune to the wide spectrum RF energy that routers and similar equipment radiates.

Sponsored Links
1) Can the Smarthome Alarm panel be installed somewhere remote for example the loft?
As long as you have power available then yes. Although I'd install it in a location where I could easily check the panel status display and utilise the panel controls etc (+ hear the panel siren easily). So upstairs somewhere away from property access points.

I see that the Smarthome panel needs to be mains powered and also see accepts a network connection (RJ45).
Yes, but the network connection is for firmware updates I believe, the alarm currently has no user-configurable (or usable) functionality using the network connection.

I'm assuming it would be safer for the panel to be installed somewhere concealed where a would be vandal cannot easily access it/tamper with it but with that in mind can a smaller keypad/receiver be installed inside the front door for use in disarming the panel?

Yes and yes. Install the panel away from access points and install the wireless remote keypad close to the front door.

Keypad -> http://www.map-security.com/yale-smart-alarm-remote-keypad-ena-kp.html

2) Does the alarm have the facility to install a repeater in the system to ensure there are no black spots in Yales wireless coverage within the house?

Yes
http://www.map-security.com/yale-smart-alarm-repeater-ena-rp.html

2) The Yale Pet friendly PIR's, if installed are a couple of cats likely to be setting them off on a regular basis?

Not if the pet friendly capability lives up to it's name :) Although I've no experience of pet friendly PIRs.

3) Does this alarm have a smartphone app?

No, but there are generic apps which can control alarm systems via configurable SMS commands (assuming you get the GSM enabled version of the alarm).

4) The marketing material would suggest there are add ons which can be used to activate lights within house etc when a PIR is activated. Is there anywhere I could did out more information about these add ons? For example I don't want to have to plug a yale plug into a socket and then a lamp into that for it to work, it would be more desirable for the add on to actually integrate/replace a light switch so it turns on room lights.

http://www.map-security.com/yale-smart-alarm-inline-power-switch-ena-ilps.html

One inline switch per device to be controlled.

And the manual for the switch
http://www.yale.co.uk/Yale/Yale_co_...ome Manuals/In line power instructions A5.pdf

5) Is this a relatively new system or can I expect a new product out in the near future that would replace this?

Been out a couple of years, so pretty new.

6) Have many people opted already for this alarm and with that is there much feedback out there in terms of performance and reliability?

I'm just about to purchase one. The alarm is intended (by Yale) to be professionally installed and as such isn't available to buy as a kit in many places. In fact I've only found one place where the DIY'er can purchase the individual alarm components.
http://www.map-security.com/wireless-alarms/yale-smart-alarm/

Hope that helps.

Andy, spot on reply, Thank you!

Just had a look at the user manual for the switch, I see wht you mean by being in line, it does state it shouldn't be wired directly into the house mains which is a bit frustrating as I was hoping to integrate it into an existing light switch which would turn on four exterior lights on the house......

I'm looking at the GSM kit but I think it would be handy if there was scope for a a user interface through a remote app, that way you could see instantly that the command had been received/actioned

May have to call MAP security and pick their brains further to see if they know if Yale have plans to develop the alarm further....

I ordered an ENA-kit2 yesterday to fit next week.........

I fitted one a couple a months ago and the customer has been very pleased with system.....Nice kit well made...there is no app currently but I understand its in the pipeline!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back on my initial thoughts a friend has suggested I look at z-wave products,

The reason he said this is due to the potential outlay I'm about to make and that's the systems I'm considering won't interact with one another and can't be expanded upon,

I was looking at another wireless router being installed downstairs to eliminate black spots in coverage, I had been looking at Hive by British gas as my existing hot water/heating controls are dated with limited programming abilities and can't be switched on independent of one another finally the installation of a house alarm which can be remotely monitored......

Ive seen Vesternet are selling the Viera 3 for £129 when spending over £300. A unit like that would appear to allow limitless opportunitites such as light automation, heating automation and for a comparable cost would work out more cost effective in the long run....

Does anyone have much experience of z-wave products, their limitations, pitfalls etc?

If anyone knows of a z-wave enthusiast/expert on the forums I'd be keen to have a chat with them,

Thanks

It's the security system part of these 'router box' based systems them that I'm not keen on. If you can integrate the Z-wave / LightwaveRF with a decent UK graded alarm (Honeywell, Texe, Risco, Etc), then that would be the best approach.

Unfortunately, true protocol based integration into the decent panels (Non US panels) is something that's either lacking or costs too much. The fall-back is normally to interface between systems with simple switched I/O which isn't as good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back