Yellow MDPE??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run water from my main connection (underground outside) and take it to my garage so we can plumb the washing machine in (bloody noise is deafening ) i can get hold of the yellow (gas) MDPE with fittings. Question is, can i use the yellow for water or not??

Sponsored Links
No.
The whole point of it being yellow is that it identifies it as gas.

Blue MDPE is readily available anywhere.

A 25m reel of 25mm blue MDPE is £15.72 from toolstation, why confuse anyone in the future for such little cost.

However as a fun fact the specs say yellow mdpe is rated to 5.5 bar at 20 degrees C for natural gas, whilst blue mdpe is rated at 11 bar. Mains supply is normally somewhere between 1 and 3 bar.

Breaking ground is bad enough as it is with BT and power cables within water pipes and sewers, without you adding to the issue. Imagine a water leak when your away from home and a relative or friend calls the gas board to make safe your leaking pipe.

I'd say yes you could, but from a safety point of view you shouldn't.

Sponsored Links
Going with the safety advice
Stolen goods?.... Ehh NO gas board left it on the job, and never returned for it.

You could always wrap it in blue tape to identify it. :LOL:Probably more cost than getting the right pipe. eBay it and buy the right one.
Although imo it sounds like you need to check the washing machine. Shouldn't be that noisy, maybe new springs/shockers or a weight are needed. Or just balancing the legs. Try sitting it on concrete paving slabs if you have space!

Last edited:
Wow, some people are so judgemental... Thank you to the helpfull people who took the time to explain, as for the others, if you are not going to help, why bother posting??? :rolleyes:

Wow, some people are so judgemental... Thank you to the helpfull people who took the time to explain, as for the others, if you are not going to help, why bother posting??? :rolleyes:
Welcome to the plumbing forum...:rolleyes:not much we can do about it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back