Yet another garden shed post!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a small garden shed, about 0.9x1.2x 1.8h to fit in a small "alcove". I'm using cladco composite cladding and something like 3x2 CLS for the frame. I'm just a bit concerned about racking - given that the cladding is designed to be fixed at the top and then hang, will it be sufficiently rigid?

Given the small size, and for cost reasons, I'd rather avoid lining it with sheet material if possible - but happy to incorporate some diagonal bracing struts if necessary?

I'll be making the door out of the same cladding but will probably make a braced and ledged frame for that with 9mm OSB on the inside.

And it'll be mounted on casters so I can get it in and out for maintenance access!

IMG_20230613_085848528.jpg

IMG_20230613_083512007_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230613_083545679.jpg

Sponsored Links
So would 5.5mm exterior hardwood ply (Chinese). About £1.50 a sheet less, too

What a brill idea, a shed on castors. Personally I would use shiplap or 6" feather edge boards as I did last time I built a shed rather than cladding but I guess you have already bought the cladding. If you diagonally brace the corners of the frame as I did, it should be sufficiently rigid.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with any racking, I built a shed from 2x1's and that was rigid enough and once lived in a new-build house whose interior partitions were built with 2x1's with the 1" dimension across the width, again suitably rigid. All that cladding will hold everything together, as above you could add a/some diagonal bracing on the inside face but racking is OTT IMO. I would however ensure the base was very sturdy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back