Yet another RCD tripping problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you kind folks could shed any light on my problem, bearing in mind that I know nothing of electrics.
I have recently had a new board installed which is a mixture of MCBs and RCDs.
On trying my air compressor for the first time it immediately tripped the RCD. It is a 2hp compressor with a capacitor. I had no problems with my old board which had only MCBs. I have tried it on a large generator and it starts and runs fine. I have checked the wiring from the plug and that is OK.
Does this mean that I can no longer use an air compressor and will I have problems with any other tools?
After all the money I spent getting a new board I am not a happy bunny!

Sponsored Links
Motors somewtimes do this, but consider a possible cause, given that:

the RCD is intended to trip when an event occurs that causes an unsafe condition due to earth leakage

and

The RCD trips when you start your compressor

What else is on the RCD that trips? you may have cumulative leakage if there are multiple circuits.

There may be nothing wrong with the compressor, having large motors on an RCD is never a good idea, but it is possible to eliminate RCDs if the circuit is designed correctly.

Have a word with an electrician and see if they can pop around and test out your compressor with an Insulation Resistance Tester (AKA Megger).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies folks, very much appreciated. I'll get the compressor looked at by someone qualified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back