Yorkshire clay, water and my decking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm preparing to run decking around the edge of the back of my property, at ground level. I'm in Yorkshire and the garden is heavy clay which doesn't drain well.

I had thought I'd just use paving slabs but the places where I'll have piers pools water sometimes. So I'm thinking I should pour concrete foundations.

As it's ground level can I just pour 300mm pads or will I have to use an auger and do deeper because of the clay?

Thanks!
turnpike

Sponsored Links
you don't need an auger but you need to dig down at least 6 inches to remove any soft ground.

If you're running decking around the edge of your property, please be aware of the slip risks.

You will be amazed how slippery decking becomes when wet.

Thanks r896neo. Should there be gravel or anything under the poured pads?

Arthur2shedsjackson, it's just at the back of the house but it follows around a kitchen extension and "sun room". Are you saying that decking is dangerous in general?

Sponsored Links
I thought that was what the grooves were for (as well as directing run off). Is there a particular type of decking which will reduce how slippy it is?

I suppose that's exactly what the grooves are for and there are probably millions of decks out there now, but I've been surprised how slippery they can become and it should be a consideration when you have them directly outside a door.

There are decking boards that you can get with a grip section in them ( Looks a bit like sandpaper ) and these are a good idea in areas where you want extra safety.

Don't be put off decking, that's not why I mentioned it, I was just making you aware, as Ithought that you were running it all around your house perimeter.

Cheers arthur, good point. I'll look into ways to help prevent slips at the 3 doors it will be infront of.

to be honest i prefer to lay the boards smooth side up, its no more slippery when wet and less prone to grime which makes decking slippery.

concrete straight onto firm ground.

The secret is to maintain it little and often. Oil it once per year and use products such as 'fence and deck magic' or even good old bleach watered down (assuming no run off to plants) to clean it. It only takes 20 mins every 2 months even less for spray on and leave type solutions and it'll look good all year.

Inevitably people skip it for one winter and then need it power washed etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back