You Learn Something New Every Day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved my alarm rkp and speaker.
One of the tamper conductors came adrift as the speaker was screwed home, catching the magnet.

It set off the tamper alert and I'm still thinking about the circuit it completed to do that.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
It's not like a light switch it's actually a voltage divider.

Basically open circuit and short is fault/tamper, 4kohm is closed a 8kohm is open.
If the value is not 4 or 8 then the (EDIT) tamper goes off, if the alarm is set and it goes to 8 kohm the alarm activates.
The 4 and 8 are not the actual values.

Last edited:
As an example, Our door bell is actually a chime input on our alarm. The bell push shorts an 4k resistor and is in series with another 4k resistor. So switches the resistance from 8 to 4k. I snagged the cable on a length of 28mm pipe and pulled it out, causing an open circuit and setting the alarm off immediately.

You didn't mention which alarm system it was, but it should have gone off when you opened the case to unscrew it from the wall.

Sponsored Links
shoudl have said tamper
if I didn't use my phone, you wouldn't get the benefit of my wisdom at all!:LOL:

Nobody has to let predictive text take over.
I certainly don't - unless, that is, I can't find a way to turn it off!

I am told by my offspring that is 'great', but they do not have to try to decipher the messages they sometimes send me!

Kind Regards, John

I seem to remember the fire alarms needed a resistor so open or closed set them off, but intruder alarm was open circuit to set it off. However that was 18 years ago I worked on alarms.

I have at the moment a problem with an alarm sounder, it is too high pitched for me to hear, next to it I hear the high pitched pulses but with bedroom door closed just hear white noise. The instructions are useless
upload_2018-1-9_6-35-7.png
all they say is the unit can be used with a selection of devices it does not say how to program anything. The battery is removed so I can switch it off with a smart socket before carers arrive.

You didn't mention which alarm system it was, but it should have gone off when you opened the case to unscrew it from the wall.

Yeah, it would have done, had I wired the tamper switch up correctly.

I'm afraid my post was confusing; both tamper wires were twisted together temporarily and they came out of the terminal and touched the speaker casing.

So, the tamper loop was not OC, but the short between the tamper conductors and the speaker caused a tamper alarm.

The short caused it to hiccup, that's all. The tamper wires should be secured somewhere in whichever unit it was, not just twisted together, so post a picture if you want any further help.

Jolly good.

Feel free to keep on trying to excuse away your lack of interest in doing a good job. Nobody will believe you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back