Puzzling Alarm Behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ADE Accenta 8 bells only system.
It was installed by another contractor in 1999 as I was working at the time and it proved better for someone else to install it. It was, however, installed to my specification, with individual runs of cable from the blank end station to each point.

It has worked fabulously. in 2013, I replaced the 2.1 Ah panel battery with a 7 Ah Yuasa.

Due to minor alterations, I moved the RKP and replaced 2 of the passives. I also replaced the RKP as some of the keys needed a very hard prod to actuate and the OMIT button would not work at all. Also, the RKP tamper spring had snapped off.

Initially, I moved the RKP and replaced the old one. Then, later on, I replaced 2 passives with Bosch ISC-BDL2-WP12H. A pricey unit but fantastic. The passives are enclosed, the terminal blocks are removable and the design means you can screw the backplate in place, wire the block, then just slide the passive onto the backplate. There are toggles for LED on/off and Pet detection on/off (it is a Tritech unit).

At the same time as swapping out the passives, I replaced the tired old RKP with a new style ADE euro LED RKP (yuk!).

I powered down the 230V supply, then opened the end station lid and removed the battery connectors. The external box started bleating.

Having fitted everything, I powered up on battery alone. The external box stopped bleating, but there was no tamper alert from the panel, the RKP did not illuminate at all and to all intents and purposes it looked like a locked-out system (rather like one of the earlier Optima systems after a storm).

I was a bit puzzled and checked my connections again, to make sure everything was sound. Still nothing. So, thinking it may be a tamper lock-out, I shorted the TAMP terminals in the main run of terminals in the panel.

Not that. So I then suspected the RKP, brand new though it was. I swapped back the old RKP. As it had a busted tamper switch, I put the tamp conductors in one terminal and decided to try firing up on 230V, leaving the battery disconnected. This time, everything was as normal, the RKP burst into life, with LED's and backlighting shining and the panel tamper started bleating.
A quick test of the battery shows a poor and fluctuating voltage and the brand new RKP's tamper switch is not closing, despite the unit being correctly seated and firmly screwed home.

Odd that, just a couple of weeks ago the battery was healthy enough to power up the system on its own after I moved the RKP.

It's not unknown for new kit to be faulty (I had a twin RCD board once that had a build date just 3 weeks prior and both RCD's failed their tests), but just a warning to everyone that two faults can happen simultaneously, despite the odds!

Having happened to me more than once, it certainly keeps you on your toes.

Sponsored Links
That's what happens when they move production to china .....a once bullet proof product becomes a pile of s***....we still have a fair few of the original optima's,xm,xl's still,out there working fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back