Your opinion on this chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We moved into our 1930's semi house in 2009 and have been concerned about the chimney. The pointing has failed, as you can see, in parts and this has allowed birds to start nesting in the chimney stack (possibly in the old 'sealed-off' breast that used to run down into the dining room?).

We really want to get this sorted this year and get rid of the crows that have made it home. I am going to be getting some different local roofers around to give their opinions but am wondering what your first thoughts are about how much work this would be or if you can see anything particularly worrying from this picture?

Thanks for all advice.

3qvlj.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's not the hugest of things. Won't break the bank if you rebuild it with new bricks.

From the photo would you say a rebuild was necessary? What would be the approximate cost?

I'll try and put a couple more pics up today.

Sponsored Links
Another picture (you can clearly see the birds have made a nice home in the side).

jv2cjp.jpg

As advised, re-build seems to be the way to go. However, that clay tile roof looks fragile - if the tile are spalling and moss is accumulating then the tile will become soaked and fragile.

There appears to be soot penetrating the brickwork ( sweep flues req. ) so you can say the stack is well shot. Also, no terminals or flaunching is evident and front apron is loose.
Think long term and research posts ref. working on roofs and possible damage and safety issues.

I'm down south on the Isle of Wight.

I really couldnt say how high it is... I cant get any closer than the ground as I havent got a large ladder yet.

tim00 - thanks for the post. As it is a shared chimney I have already contacted my neighbour about the problem we have. With regards to the roof I have worked in the loft recently and the roof is in remarkable condition. Touch wood no water is penetrating the roof (I can see easily as I do not have any felt under the tiles).

To be honest the pictures I have posted are the closest I have really seen this damage.

Thanks for all posts.

I would say a rebuild is the only way forward, dont waste your money on tarting it up by choppong bricks out etc.. The island can get a hammering from the weather. do it right..
There is a possibility the tiles are concrete plain tiles, so easily available..

As a matter of interest,to determine the height of any brickwork simply count the brick courses.

nice old chimney, repointing may save it, you need an expert to check it out, hard to tell from a photo

Well I'm in a 2 story semi if he meant that.

If he meant how high is it, the counting bricks idea seems good!

Anyway after a few phonecalls I have various companies booked for opinions/quotes. No doubt they will range from a bit of repointing right up to knocking the whole house down and starting again.

Will keep updating as and when I get some advice!

Hi

Amongst other things you have a serious problem with 'sulphate attack' and you will likely find that the only thing holding the brickwork in place is the weight of the bricks.

Repointing is a short term solution and in some instances this may do more harm than good, especially given the present condition of the bricks. You would need to use a lime mortar if you do decide to repoint as cement mortar has different characteristics to the clay bricks and will hold back rainwater which will get trapped behind the pointing and saturate the bricks which in winter months will leave the bricks open to 'frost attack' (as seen in your photo's.

Then you have the top of the stack, you do not appear to have any cowels on top of the flue terminations to prevent rainwater saturating the inside of the flue (in the past the fire's would have been used on a regular basis and would have kept the flues relativey dry at most times) the rainwater will be reacting with the soot particles which gives rise to the sulphate attack, also there appears to be no haunching to the top of the stack to shed the rainwater away which adds to the problems.

Given the algae that is growing on the brickwork it is problably safe to say that that chimney stack gets saturated from time to time.

If that chimney stack was made of timber you would be ripping it down and starting again, and that is the best advise I can give to you!

Regards

Thanks for thre post.

2 quotes later and not even a mention of a rebuild. I'd have thought if that was necessary they would want the bigger job of a rebuild rather than repointing and replacing a few bricks....!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back