1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

'Your Speed' sign, with a camera flashes, should I be worrie

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by compact, 23 Jan 2014.

1. compact

compact

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Driving last night
    There was a 'Your Speed' sign, which showed me going at 35 (didn't realise honestly..)
    For the first time, of seeing one of these a small camera on top flashed.
    Here is a photo of it (thanks Google)

Is the camera flash an extra warning (I probably will slow down anyway), or is it a speed camera that will lead to 3 points and a fine?

There aren't any lines of the floor but not sure if they are needed nowadays

2. rjm2k

rjm2k

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At a guess I would say don't worry, but you will find out in a few weeks anyway. Let us know!

3. TheVictorian

TheVictorian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It isn't a camera (GATSO/SPECS or mobile) just a radar based speed detection and warming system so you will not get a ticket.

4. kbdiy

kbdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They just use those to make you feel guilty - and it obviously worked in your case :oops:

5. Avocet

Avocet

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    +1 - they're not calibrated for prosecutions. There's one in our village and it has phases where it won't flash even if you're doing over 30 and other times when it goes off at less than 20. I've even set it off on my pushbike!

6. Ricardus

Ricardus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There used to be one not far up the road from me, until the local lads started competing to see who could score the highest speed through the trap.

7. satanspawn71

satanspawn71

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have one too, i've shot past it at a decent speed several times and not received anything through the post yet. First time I did poo myself though but I could see I was doing 33 so shouldn't get a ticket anyway?!?

8. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All.

There is a good point here.

I travel by car a lot, last week was about 1,000 miles to go to customers properties as an Insurance Inspector.

I use a "Sat Nav" extensively, I have a Tom-Tom that displays the speed in the lower right hand corner, this "speed" is calculated from the "gubbins" inside the Sat-Nav and the data received from up to eleven Satalights.

Point of these ramblings is that the Sat-Nav indicated speed is at all times MORE THAN the indicated speed on the cars speedo?

The interesting point is that I [very] regularly drive past a "50 MPH" warning sign [ placed there because it is a choice spot for a traffic camera van 500 meters up the road in a lay -By] My cars speedo reads 53 MPH, on cruise control but the Sat -Nav indicates 50 MPH here is the interesting bit, the traffic "trap" does not flash at me?

Same scenario when traveling past small town 30 MPH illuminating warning signs.

9. trazor

trazor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    All speedometers are over rated by up to 10% deliberately.

10. CylonRaider

CylonRaider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's even worse (speedo error) on 8th Gen Civics.

Mine over-reads by 5mph.

This is because of the various models of the same vehicles wheel size differential and the fact that manufacturers must not, point blank, Under-read speed. So they all over-read by a certain degree.

The Civic range of the same models have 16, 17 & 18" wheel sizes.

eg: My speedo actually read 57mph when I took this footage but look at what the GPS speed on my DashCam says it is...

As for the OP's sign, I think they are more effective than "Flash - YOU'RE NICKED"