Your thoughts on this estimate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point of a site like this if it leads to a bill of nearly £400 without a fix to a problem. Had there been more support I might have been sorted now with less expense.

Try to remember this is a DIY section for non-gas appliance related plumbing & heating. For example, if you wanted advice on changing a rad, planning a bathroom, fixing taps, ballvalves, controling heating etc etc etc. Correctly identifying boiler faults is not feasible without being on-site or communicating with another engineer.

As a non-DIYer with a gas boiler related problem, no-one is obliged to 'support you' or help you knock other tradesmen's prices down.

Your statement implies you hold members of this forum responsible for your £400 bill from a tradesmen you found and none of them know. I suggest your expectations, in this instance, are misguided.

Sponsored Links
its annoying when you give advice and it gets ignored, then the op complains they didnt get good advice !
A possible fault has been mentioned already even though I was reluctant to reveal it as it is something that should be fixed by an RGI and to fix it properly on this model required removing the combustion hood.
Although funny to see joe-90 refer to it as a *******:D he really is a google happy clueless tw*t.
The engineer is obviously clueless and guessing and should not pay him. I always charge on completion so the customer can be happy its all ok before parting with cash.

i think the main problem here is that the engineer has probably mis-diagnosed ! Make sure he 100% guarantees it will fix the problem, no fix no fee, as I suspect he's missed the fault which is quite common on this model. but being a gas related issue I cant divulge.

(Mod - Edited to discourage diy fiddling.)

Micky,

I'm in total acceptance of what you said, but other people on here said he had diagnosed correctly. I don't bv;ame anyone for the £400 bill, just the fact that it became more about the money, I asked if it was reasonable to charge this amount, I was told it was.

You yourself did assist and I thank you for that, all I really want is the heat and hot water to be on at a fair cost.

Ben

Micky,

I'm in total acceptance of what you said, but other people on here said he had diagnosed correctly. I don't bv;ame anyone for the £400 bill, just the fact that it became more about the money, I asked if it was reasonable to charge this amount, I was told it was.

You yourself did assist and I thank you for that, all I really want is the heat and hot water to be on at a fair cost.

Ben

well its unfortunate, the price quoted for replacing the fan was reasonable, but the actual fault you have does not require any parts to fix. More annoyingly had the engineer phoned the tech helpline they would have told him the problem. Its about an hours work, so just a call out fee really. What other parts has he ordered???

Sponsored Links
Mickey

I can see I'll have issues with the engineer. I'm assuming from previous posts that it's a ventilation issue, I mentioned this to him and he told me that I should leave him to diagnose the problem - all very well had he done that first time around.

I don't know if to cut my loses or continue with him. Should I point him or someone else in that direction?

Mickey

I can see I'll have issues with the engineer. I'm assuming from previous posts that it's a ventilation issue, I mentioned this to him and he told me that I should leave him to diagnose the problem - all very well had he done that first time around.

I don't know if to cut my loses or continue with him. Should I point him or someone else in that direction?

I cant tell you the problem as it gets editted by the mods and i would be in breach of forum rules, but if he phoned the tech helpline they would tell him the problem, its hard to say what the best way forward is, but if he's not willing to refund you for his first misdaignosis then i would get someone else in as its not going to make much difference. Where abouts are you? maybe someone on here can get to you?

OP ours is a difficult industry.. go to a solicitor and he forgets a search, or lets a deadline lapse and a new search is needed then guess who pays..like wise dentists.. anyone who has had an onlay treatment deteriorate into root canal treatment will sympathise...

I never inderstand why we are meant to be so "correct" when other professions get away with things we never know about..

Whilst our work is not rocket science it has many pitfalls...
Well said :!: I personally think it`s the public`s perception of " plumbers" - ones like me don`t have a purpose anymore :cry: any DIY`er can do it . Now the boiler engineers need a knowledge of electronics and the wide variety of different boilers . Joe Public doesn`t perceive the difference between a plumber and a boiler servicer :idea:

OP both your concerns have been confirmed misdiagnosis and ripped off for the fan .
These fans are only £165 retail and around £130 trade so he has had a nice little mark up on the price for his mistake .
yeah make a bit of money on the parts but around the £100 is taking the pish.

£395 to diagnose and fit a fan that costs £130 is taking the pish in anyone book and i cant see how anyone on here could justify that.

...What is the point of a site like this if it leads to a bill of nearly £400 without a fix to a problem. Had there been more support I might have been sorted now with less expense....
The answer is in the url of the site diy not. The site is for advice on diy issues, not for correcting incompetent heating engineers, nor for learning how to fix safety critical issues yourself.
Bit late now, but for future reference: be more careful with choosing engineers of any kind e.g. heating engineer, garage and so on.
It takes a bit of effort but is hardly difficult; ask local people for recommendations.

i think id be able to fix that 1st time with out any parts and im SH*TE at fault finding ect.

as for the price, if he was right and got it up and running for christmas then you would you have been happy(ish)?

I'd have been happy paying for it to be fixed, in fact I did pay it. As a lay person I just wanted opinion on the estimate and whether or not he had diagnosed it correctly.

Never thought that this would have generated so much interest.

I have a strong feelingn that I shall just have to cut my loses and move on, at least I have an idea where the problem lies and can make sure that whoever I get in is diagnosing correctly - to some extent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back