Your thoughts on this estimate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Move on ? why you have paid out 400 notes .
make him fix it he has already made £250 out of you he has more than enough leeway to spend more time on it and if needed cheap part.

Sponsored Links
What is the point of a site like this if it leads to a bill of nearly £400 without a fix to a problem. Had there been more support I might have been sorted now with less expense.
The issue is not the lack of help from this site as u need gas people - in fact gas people that repair boilers & know what they r doing. That really narrows it down. Lots of boiler repairs are done by 'have a go' gas reg plumbers. Hence the obscene reputation we have for unecesery boiler repair costs.

There is no issue that your repair man did not happen to know the common fault on this boiler. There are plenty boilers out there that I do not know the common faults on - as I havnt & never will see all of them. However - - any man worth his salt will know how to fault find rather that make inspired guessing. Find the fault - prove the fault - then buy the part. It was the 'proving the fault' that was missing here. It is quite simple to diagnose the issue - all be it - -slow fan - or for whatever other reason the APDS is not switching. Blowing down the rubber tube (not ideal at all!) does point u in the right direction however that clue was missed by your engineer. I fail to see why any customer would pay to 'not' have his boiler fixed? Why did u pay him? That is your decision & nothing to do with forums or advise. Having looked at some of the threads here - with advice from the likes of Jo90 u may be better asking on the knitting forum. His 'fee' is something you & he decide to agree on. £45 is very competitive - the fan a bit OTT. Even so the choice was yours. I presume u didnt phone the help line in the back of your book as that would put u in touch with Vokera who would send an engineer that would have fixed it first visit. I assume u thought the other option was going to be cheaper. Again your decision.

If he ever does return - do ask him to replace the old fan & refund the cost to you. A lesson for the both of you perhaps?

Take him to the Small Claims court - he'll get hung out to dry. Won't cost you a penny, will cost him big time.

Personally I'm not a great believer in fans working slowly. For me they either work, stick or stop. If eg. components such as a gas valve opens, fan runs, pump spins etc every time it's powered then I'll look elsewhere.

I can assure you that sometimes fans do run slowly! Not due to tight bearings but another type of fault. I have not checked but expect it will be indicated by an LCR measurement on the coil.

Thats why I have an optical tachometer! Although measuring the pressure presented to the APS will indicate that fault.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just looking for a bit of advice if any of you knowledgeable people could help.

I have a procombi HE85 boiler which broke down on Thursday, an engineer came out on Friday, I have no heat or hot water. The engineer has diagnosed the fault which could well be the true but I’d appreciate your opinions.

The engineer told me the boiler was a rebadged Vokera. After spending an hour inspecting it he has diagnosed a faulty fan. He talked me through the issue explaining that although the fan was getting the correct voltage it wasn’t turning as fast as it should. The fan did sound a tiny bit noisy, but not like the bearings were shot. He explained that as a result of this the pressure switch wasn’t engaging correctly. To show this he removed one of the tubes found by the fan connected to what he said was the pressure switch. The boiler fired up immediately. He said he couldn’t leave this tube off for safety reasons.

The only thing that I’m worried about is that he has estimated the cost of a fan as £245 which seems steep after looking on the net. Firstly can a fan run slow if it getting the correct voltage (I saw 244v on his meter), secondly could it be the pressure switch, or something else at fault. The total cost of the repair is £350, if this seems fine then I’ll go with it, what are your thoughts?

Ben

Get a couple of quotes............

What.......to repair a boiler ?!

Even I told you it wasn't the fan - and I'm not a gas fitter. :mrgreen:

No but you have a reputation on this board for being a complete spacktard though don't you

621 thanks - proves you wrong. You just don't like it that I know more about boilers than the average gas safe 'plumber' who knows practically 'nowt'. :mrgreen:

I would you know about painting walls, ( badly) and that about the long and short of it.
You have Wikipedia to consult hence your so called knowledge and if the internet didnt exist you'd be stuffed

Oh FFS...just drop a couple of suggestions in the shell like of any visiting engineer 1) ****2) ****..which is quite an unusual setup. Either can stop the boiler.

There's at least an 80% chance thats all it is. It was never the fan if a new one didn't fix it.

Have I given away state secrets here :rolleyes:

Alfredo

Even I told you it wasn't the fan - and I'm not a gas fitter. :mrgreen:

No but you have a reputation on this board for being a complete spacktard though don't you

621 thanks - proves you wrong. You just don't like it that I know more about boilers than the average gas safe 'plumber' who knows practically 'nowt'. :mrgreen:

1 thanks for every 38.7 posts?

My hero

1 thanks for every 11 posts from me.

Do the maths :evil:

That's if the windings are shot and you'll get sparking and an imminent failure.

You are my hero Tony. ;)

No, with that fault there is no obvious malfunction and the resistance measures corectly.

Thats why its so important for aan RGI to be able to identify that senario even though its rare.for

I will be demonstrating one if I give a short talk on electronic boiler component testing prior to a curry in the London area for RGIs in the new year!

Tony

i think the main problem here is that the engineer has probably mis-diagnosed ! Make sure he 100% guarantees it will fix the problem, no fix no fee, as I suspect he's missed the fault which is quite common on this model. but being a gas related issue I cant divulge.

If the OP had followed micky's advise on the 1st page the boiler would be working for xmas.

I would suspect that the boiler has not been serviced for a few years as this is part of a service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back