Your worst physical injury?

Nothing very serious or life threatening. I fractured arm when some steps collapsed under me, same arm fractured again, when it was dragged into a moving conveyor belt, a fractured finger, when I slipped in the bath, a crushed thumb, when a train carriage door was slammed on it by a porter. My earliest injury was when I growing up, I suddenly found I would crack my skull on a cellar RSJ, set up as a bomb shelter, as I grew taller. Then my pushbike's wheel jammed in a street grate and I went over the top - I was unconscious for 24 hours.

Is your real name Frank Spencer by any chance? ;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When i was about 8 or 9 years old I was shinning up a willow tree. Unfortunately I lost my grip and slid back down the trunk with my legs wrapped around it. There was a short stump of a broken off branch - only a few inches sticking out of the trunk that impaled the inner top of my leg. Narrowly missing my femoral artery and crown jewels. :eek: Close shave and still have an impressive scar to show all the chicks. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
About 30 years ago I went through a glass door (without opening it), it was in the days when a lot of doors still had thin glass, neither toughened or laminated, when it broke it fragmented into 'shards'. Basically I 'stumbled' toward a full glass panel door and put my hand out, the damage wasn't done going through the glass, it was the reflex action of immediately withdrawing it, severed 3 tendons, an artery and lord knows how many nerves. After 5 minutes I fainted at the sight of all the blood and caught my eybrow area against a door latch on my way down, it left a rather cool 'duelling scar' partway down the forehead intersecting my eyebrow, it's healed quite well but for a long time I looked like the archetypal Bond villain, the ladys loved it by the way. When I came to in hospital a nurse was fussing around my forehead whilst I was trying to explain that my hand was 'hanging off'. Eventually I was wheeled in for what turned out to be a five hour operation, stitching up the artery, and joining the tendons with plastic bits. They said the nerves would heal themselves.
They said I couldn't work for 3 months and after several weeks got me on physio, muscles had wasted hand was numb, whatever exercises they gave me I doubled up up on, if they said spend half hour plunging your hand into a bowl of dried peas and gripping them, I'd do it for and hour and then repeat it an hour later. was working carefully after six weeks but it was a long time before I was confident about exerting it. The numbness subsided but is still partly there 30 years later, the nerves regrew, but not neccesarily where they should have, for example, if I accidentally 'tap' my thumb with a hammer, the pain manifests itself in the forefinger, that's weird.
Anyway, it wasn't that painful because I passed out, the effects were long term but only in a mild way, 3 of my fingers are still partially numb which gets worse in the winter but hey, there's a lot worse off than me.

The worst injury I heard about from people I know was when a plumber friend told me about something he did as a kid, he welled up when he spoke about it because he knew it was wrong, very wrong, and he knew it affected someone's life in a major way.

Basically he was playing on a building site/demolition area/waste ground or whatever it was, there were lots of areas like that around in the 60's. He was messing around with friends and they happened across a big black ball, larger than a football, but made of steel or iron, might have been a wrecking ball off one of those demolition cranes but as it was an industrial area, it could have been anything.
Anyway, another kid wandered up and said 'what yer doin?' so my friend said 'see that ball there, we're seein who can kick it the furthest'.

The kid had a permanent limp and my mate had to live with the fact it was a bastard of a thing to do. Made my 'mishap' look small, as do many other things, people losing limbs etc.

Can we change the subject? what about a 'whats the best thing that's ever happened to you thread'?.

a big black ball, larger than a football, but made of steel or iron, might have been a wrecking ball off one of those demolition cranes but as it was an industrial area, it could have been anything.
Anyway, another kid wandered up and said 'what yer doin?' so my friend said 'see that ball there, we're seein who can kick it the furthest'.

The kid had a permanent limp and my mate had to live with the fact it was a bastard of a thing to do.
That is both funny and sad at the same time. :LOL::(

How the hell we survived our childhood..Scary looking back...7 year old..we would paddle around ponds in a tin bath...Slide down pit heaps on a Morris Minor Bonnet!!...Make a bogy out of old pram wheels...Walk around derelict houses upstairs with only joists left...Not even any stairs...Awaiting demolition...7..Jeez.Climbing trees to make a swing...bloody hell..Getting in a cement mixer and my uncle turning it..I must have been quite small!!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screen_Shot_2019-09-03_at_11.37.25_am.png

Phineas Gage..That pole was blasted through his brain and he survived...Gave The scientific community of the time great insight into what bits of Brain do what...It altered his personality somewhat!

The worst injury I heard about from people I know was when a plumber friend told me about something he did as a kid, he welled up when he spoke about it because he knew it was wrong, very wrong, and he knew it affected someone's life in a major way.

Basically he was playing on a building site/demolition area/waste ground or whatever it was, there were lots of areas like that around in the 60's. He was messing around with friends and they happened across a big black ball, larger than a football, but made of steel or iron, might have been a wrecking ball off one of those demolition cranes but as it was an industrial area, it could have been anything.

The kid had a permanent limp and my mate had to live with the fact it was a bastard of a thing to do.

Reminds me of this prank, but obviously much worse.

Sponsored Links
Back