DIY and getting older

The worst thing about getting older is that everything in your body gets stiff except the bit you need to get stiff.

Sponsored Links
And in 2016 I was still feeling young enough to get the TV aerial fitted.
upload_2020-11-19_14-33-14.png

( I was not young enough to safely put the ladder there, someone else left it there for me to use )

Worst aspect I find is I can't see anything close up anymore.

I'm 54 and have worn reading specs for several years now. Amazed that my 84 year old mother has never needed them and can read the Daily Mail (thought I would throw that in to annoy the lefties on here) in poor light without reading glasses. No glasses for distance either.

Sponsored Links
Everyone has those bubbles in the eyes, your brain is supposed to ignore them and fill in the blanks. I used to see them as a kid and if I really try and still see them now. Ignore them and I simply don't see them.
I definitely didn't have them until my 30's. I remember getting up one day and seeing a small black dot in front of me. Thought I had something in my eye, which I didn't, it was my first floater :(

Thankfully, as you say, most of the time you don't 'see' them, however whenever I'm looking at e.g. lightly coloured plain painted wall, they're very difficult to ignore, especially on a bright day. I'm convinced mine were instigated by a ride on a funfair ride. Came off, one of my eyes was watering profusely and just a couple of days later is when I noticed my first one as mentioned above. Too much of a coincidence for me. Anyways I'm fortunate in that mine aren't that bad, some people suffer terribly with them.

The worst thing about getting older is that everything in your body gets stiff except the bit you need to get stiff.
Here, here!
And sometimes even the little blue pills don't work 100%....
Not 55 yet and the last 13 years have seen me lose one thing after another.
Poor eyesight, can't drive, can't climb ladders, deafness and tinnitus in both ears, constant pain, have to get up many times in the night to pee (not a prostate problem), can't get it up, dizziness, fatigue, sickness, a fatty liver, I could go on!

Still, I'm alive and the people around me tell me they love me.
And that matters a great deal.

Poor eyesight, can't drive, can't climb ladders, deafness and tinnitus in both ears, constant pain, have to get up many times in the night to pee (not a prostate problem), can't get it up, dizziness, fatigue, sickness, a fatty liver, I could go on!

**** me I thought all that was normal.(n)

Here, here!
And sometimes even the little blue pills don't work 100%....

Still, I'm alive and the people around me tell me they love me.
And that matters a great deal.

You poor thing! My issues crept up on me all of a sudden, over the past couple of years - or rather 'they' discovered them, I hadn't noticed anything. It began with high BP, then then a massive oesophagus bleed in the middle of of the night and being rushed into hospital half dead. Next they noticed liver (EDIT - kidney) issues, put a stent in and one had failed completely and the other failing. Then after an MRI scan, they spotted I'd had a minor stroke at some point in the distant past - which I likely would not have even noticed.

My one time great stamina has disappeared, so I'm unable to walk far now - they suggest it is probably due to my low iron levels because of my kidneys. They are delivering me four iron injections this morning, for the first time to help address that - one per month. Next Tuesday I have an appointment to go into hospital for an iron IV. They are suggesting my one functional liver might survive for a couple of years, then it will be dialysis for the rest of my life, with no chance of a transplant.

My BP is a careful balancing act between too high for my kidneys and too low because of my past stroke and the resulting restricted head arteries. Too low a BP and I go very dizzy and need to sit and wait for my BP to recover. I don't normally obviously look sick or feel sick most of the time, so no one makes allowances for me. What I can say is, I'm just lucky all this happened after I retired, the amount of time the all the appointments take up.

Last edited:
You poor thing! My issues crept up on me all of a sudden, over the past couple of years - or rather 'they' discovered them, I hadn't noticed anything. It began with high BP, then then a massive oesophagus bleed in the middle of of the night and being rushed into hospital half dead. Next they noticed liver issues, put a stent in and one had failed completely and the other failing. Then after an MRI scan, they spotted I'd had a minor stroke at some point in the distant past - which I likely would not have even noticed.

My one time great stamina has disappeared, so I'm unable to walk far now - they suggest it is probably due to my low iron levels because of my kidneys. They are delivering me four iron injections this morning, for the first time to help address that - one per month. Next Tuesday I have an appointment to go into hospital for an iron IV. They are suggesting my one functional liver might survive for a couple of years, then it will be dialysis for the rest of my life, with no chance of a transplant.

My BP is a careful balancing act between too high for my kidneys and too low because of my past stroke and the resulting restricted head arteries. Too low a BP and I go very dizzy and need to sit and wait for my BP to recover. I don't normally obviously look sick or feel sick most of the time, so no one makes allowances for me. What I can say is, I'm just lucky all this happened after I retired, the amount of time the all the appointments take up.

Jeez, that's a lot to contend with. And there was me complaining about my reading sight in mid 50s.

If you were a horse, you would have been shot by now. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back