DIY and getting older

Sponsored Links
I'm in my 40s now, and have had a desk job since my 20s. As a teenager up until the office job I worked with a carpenter / kitchen fitter and picked up enough skills to fix up the houses I live in.

Moved to a new (but v.old) house a few months ago. Fit new kitchen sink, new toilet, wc sink, bath, rerouted rising main, moved doorframe, an awful lot of wallpaper scraping, plastering, painting, minor electrics. And gardening. Took a day, with a chainsaw, to remove a forest of 10ft hollyhocks.

This is around a full time job and parenting.

This thread made me laugh in agreement. I no longer have the stamina I had. I constantly ache. My hands are fragile. My back keeps going out. I'm exhausted. I enjoy early nights and silence.

Not gonna lie. Not gonna stop either.

I'm in my 40s now, and have had a desk job since my 20s. As a teenager up until the office job I worked with a carpenter / kitchen fitter and picked up enough skills to fix up the houses I live in.

Moved to a new (but v.old) house a few months ago. Fit new kitchen sink, new toilet, wc sink, bath, rerouted rising main, moved doorframe, an awful lot of wallpaper scraping, plastering, painting, minor electrics. And gardening. Took a day, with a chainsaw, to remove a forest of 10ft hollyhocks.

This thread made me laugh in agreement. I no longer have the stamina I had. I constantly ache. My hands are fragile. My back keeps going out. I'm exhausted. I enjoy early nights and silence.

A chainsaw for hollyhocks... them's some hollyhocks.

Sponsored Links
Im only 6 ft. They dwarfed me. Trunks arm thick. Never knew they got so big. Surprisingly fragile, like balsa wood.

Probably coz they're annuals, biannuals or short lived perennials, seed like crazy though.

Im only 6 ft. They dwarfed me. Trunks arm thick. Never knew they got so big. Surprisingly fragile, like balsa wood.
Did you manage to get a photo? Didn't think hollyhocks had stems that thick.

Worst aspect I find is I can't see anything close up anymore.
Yes, this is annoying. Nothing in focus close up but can't see anything further away wearing glasses.. Getting older is so fun!

Me I. Am. Not to bad tbh

Seem. To. Be working harder than when I was in my 20s

Put on a bit of weight but I can still look down and see my nob :LOL:

It's being a desk jockey that is making you ache all over. I think most of us on here have been in some form of engineering most of our lives so have been pretty active in our employment. I spent two years as an on-site engineering manager and hated being tied to a desk. I would text the site engineers to make a bogus phone call to say they needed my knowledge on a certain machine just to get me out the office. My new job involves a fair bit of desk work but I simply get on with the physical stuff and pass the 'paperwork' over to my boss to complete. We seem to have struck a happy medium. :)
BTW, Hollyhocks usually only grow to about 6 feet tall though the record for one is just over 13' in the UK.

BTW, Hollyhocks usually only grow to about 6 feet tall though the record for one is just over 13' in the UK
Wish I'd taken some photos of them for scale. I have incidental ones with them in. These were not the big ones.
Hedge behind first ine is 9ft
Screenshot_20201118-214949_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-215110_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-215001_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20201118-215119_Photos.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back