Zinsser Perma White Mould Paint blistering off the walls

No sorry, it's me not reading properly & understanding correctly.

Just a few Qs then:

Could I apply that gluten glass directly or do I NEED to use a primer first? The plaster is likely original so 80yrs old & quite sandy with fibres/hair in it.

How do I know if the paper is a vinyl paper? I know that sounds stupid but I only recently found some of the paints I was looking at which aren't advertised as vinyl contain it. I'd imagine the paper to be glossy maybe like kitchen paper & not paper-like, but I don't want to just assume.

Sponsored Links
Could I apply that gluten glass directly or do I NEED to use a primer first?

This is where the alkali resistant primer comes in. The Glutenglass can be applied directly to stable and dry plaster but if there is an alkali issue, which in this case is highly likely, then it isn't advisable to apply it directly to the wall.

How do I know if the paper is a vinyl paper? I'd imagine the paper to be glossy maybe like kitchen paper & not paper-like, but I don't want to just assume..

In my experience, vinyl wallpapers will have it stated on the label but after years of hanging paper I can tell a vinyl without looking at the label, so maybe not all do state it. Most vinyls do have a sheen but so do some non vinyls.

Thanks.

I was at the house tonight & i was feeling the other walls - they're all sandy.

If i rub them then little sandy grains end up on my hands & my hands get quite dusty. If i rub hard enough on the patch i'm showing you i can actually rub the wall away. That doesn't happen on the other areas though thankfully.

I just googled alkali resistant primer & one of the results was the Zinsser Bullseye 123 paint. Zinsser didn't think this would be any good...

I am not confident the Bulls Eye 123 will work in your situation or any of the other Zinsser primers/ sealers.

Were his exact words.

I understand that he has a reason to say this - the product he's recommending is 3 times as much £. You'd like to think that what they say is 100% true & honest but when they've a reason to be telling you what they're telling you, you can't be so sure.

I also wonder about sticking any primer on top of the paint that's on there, because technically it is on top of the paint isn't it & not onto the plaster. So if the paint ends up bubbling, it'll bubble the alkali primer off surely.

Maybe i should just slap some wallpaper on there & put a wardrobe against it :LOL:

Here's a thought we had over the weekend...

Not sure if i should ask this here or create a new thread in the plastering forum. Please advise as to which...

Anyway, the plaster there is currently very soft & sandy. My wife was at it this weekend & created another hole in there by picking off the paint with her fingernail (she says). Again it was very dark in the newly exposed bit - i guess damp.

So my theory is this - that wall at some point recently was piddle-wet through. The problem seems to have been rectified according to a roofer.

Paper was put on before the sale so the wall couldn't breathe. We stripped this & the surface dried out, but under the surface still seems to be wet & i suppose it'll take yonks to dry out.

Here's where this weekends wonderings come in....

...What do you reckon to chipping away that section of plaster? It's about 2 wallpaper widths - and then just having a plasterer come in & plaster it? I don't know what they'd use to do it (bonding?) but just patch it in & cut it level with the remaining wall.
The wife was concerned that they'd want to skim the entire room. Well they can sod off if that's the case as the rest of the room doesn't need doing.

What do you reckon to this idea?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there not a downpipe or failed gutter on the external side of that wall?

I'm thinking guttering that isn't sitting correctly to the lip of roof tiles and water is getting between gutter and wall.

I still think that you need to be absolutely certain there's no external issue before looking for your remedial solution.

I agree with you & when the roofer i've been put on to comes in to work i'll be asking him to inspect.

Got brave tonight & peeled off the ceiling paper as there was some brown growth on the wall where the wall meets paper - like mushroom like, but really small. Like a brown ball kinda thing. I thought, that paper just needs to come off. No good burying the head in the sand...

It's certainly had plaster on it. I'd guess the original 1930s plaster.

There'd wood in there that's for sure. The right hand side is wood. Where it meets the wall is a bit dark...

But it FEELS quite solid. I've given it a push & pull & knock & it's not soft.

Don't get me wrong though, there are most certainly soft parts. Totally wrecked parts...

Where you see cracks - well, i know there's plaster there but i don't know what the whole thing is made of. It can't be plasterboard if original. I don't know if it's some sort of wooden sheet or just quite thick plaster that's gone soft or what. It's gone all brown.

I could quite easily pull that out.

I thought it was 1 wooden beam that ran into the wall, a solid beam, but it turns out it's not. There's nothing behind that flat cracked piece.

So what i'm hoping is that it's like the wall was when we got the house - suffocated. We took the wallpaper off the wall & the surface at least dried out.
We've had some serious rain down since we stripped it & not once did it go darker. This makes me believe the first roofer we had - it's a problem that's been fixed. At least on the roof side.

So i'm hoping by taking the ceiling paper off, it's going to allow that bit of wood to dry out. The cracked plaster part though, there's no rescuing that. That's gone.

Not being very (for any, read: at all) DIY minded, i'm not sure what the solution is here. I guess perhaps patch in a small plasterboard or some sort of wood sheet & plaster over. I don't know. I hope the wooden piece that runs into the wall is still good.

Then there's the wall below. As i suspect the plaster is what you'd call 'soft' i wonder how long it'd take to dry out fully.

Oh & when we spoke to our neighbour, they said that approx. 6 months prior to us buying, the previous owner asked them if they had a leak on the other side of the wall. They then apparently re-decorated.
So my guess is it'd been leaking for [some time] which 6 months before we bought, they fixed, but didn't give chance to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back