Zone 1 swivel bathroom downlighter - Such a thing ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Zone 1 swivel bathroom downlighter - Such a thing ???

I have seen pleanty of fixed ones but no swivel ones, is there a reason (IP rating ??) that these are not available or are they just rare ??

Thanks in advance for any info,

Co.

Sponsored Links
Any on the go now more than 1 year on ? (re-doing the bathroom soon)

Thanks for any info.

You're looking for a fitting that's suitably protected for location within zone 1 (not a zone 1 fitting).
It would require a minimum rating of IPX4 but I've not come across any adjustable downlighters rated to IPX4.

Sponsored Links
How tall is your ceiling? Mines 2.5m so well out of Zone 1.

Assuming it's going on the ceiling and not the wall, that is?

Thanks for the replies.

Ceiling is more than 2.5m high so that helps & yes the eyeball ones is what I was trying to descibe in the first post. I'll check them out.

You wouldn't be able to swivel and point a light which worked properly.

That you can do so with what you want just proves it's nothing more than a mains-powered torch, not a real light.

And if there's a loft or roof above the bathroom, and if the Scottish Building Regulations have the same sort of requirements as Parts C and L in the E&W regs, are you aware of the difficulties you will face in installing the lights?

You wouldn't be able to swivel and point a light which worked properly.

That you can do so with what you want just proves it's nothing more than a mains-powered torch, not a real light.

And if there's a loft or roof above the bathroom, and if the Scottish Building Regulations have the same sort of requirements as Parts C and L in the E&W regs, are you aware of the difficulties you will face in installing the lights?

So are you saying I can't fit these ?? (as suggested by MisterG)
http://www.lightingforbathrooms.co....athroom-Lights--IP65-Downlights--02_EON7946GU

or they will be torch like ???

as that is exactly what I want/need

So are you saying I can't fit these ?? (as suggested by MisterG)
http://www.lightingforbathrooms.co....Lights--IP65-Downlights--02_EON7946GU[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can fit those, but if your regulations impose requirements relating to moisture getting into unconditioned spaces, or minimum insulation levels, then you can't just cut holes in the ceiling, and if you have a flat roof above the bathroom it will be impossible to comply.

Plus they will be sh*te at actually lighting up the room.

or they will be torch like ???
Yes.

as that is exactly what I want/need
You want/need to spend money buying, installing and running lights which won't usefully light the room?

OK.

Product Information

IP65 rated swivel showerlight in satin chrome. Stops moisture and air flow through the luminaire.

Fire Resistant BS476 Part 21 offering 90 minute protection time.

Building Regulations Part "C" compliant.

(Acoustic Rating) Building Regulations Part "E" compliant.

Requires a cut out of 79mm and a 125mm minimum ceiling void depth to allow free air ventilation around the light fitting.

IP65 rated. Double insulated.

NO TRANSFORMER REQUIRED.

Seems to be BAS proof.

Seems to be a load of b******s, actually.

IP65 does not equate to airtight, water vapour will pass through it.

And in any event the rating only applies to the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts, not what it does with respect to paths through and around it which don't go anywhere near them.

To play you at your own game, all Part C says, essentially, is that a floor/ceiling shall offer 'adequate' protection against the effects of moisture. Where does it say a ceiling must be air tight?

Surely a light fitting cannot be specifically advertised as being 'Part C compliant' if it hasn't been determined/agreed that it is? For a member of the public, it ought to be a safe bet that a good solution to complying with Part C would be to buy a product advertised as compliant with Part C. That, in a nutshell, is part of the point of all our trading/advertising laws, is it not?

Liam

To play you at your own game, all Part C says, essentially, is that a floor/ceiling shall offer 'adequate' protection against the effects of moisture. Where does it say a ceiling must be air tight?
It doesn't, but the guidance is that gaps and penetrations should be filled and sealed.

But my issue really was with the claim made by the maker, because IP65 will not prevent moisture passing through the luminaire, even if IP65 applied to every path through it, which it doesn't necessarily.

Surely a light fitting cannot be specifically advertised as being 'Part C compliant' if it hasn't been determined/agreed that it is?
I don't believe that there are any official tests for "Part C compliance", so the statement is just the manufacturer's opinion, and we've already seen that they don't have even the vaguest idea of the size of water vapour molecules.

For a member of the public, it ought to be a safe bet that a good solution to complying with Part C would be to buy a product advertised as compliant with Part C. That, in a nutshell, is part of the point of all our trading/advertising laws, is it not?
Which, of course, are never broken, are they....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back