Zone vlves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having some rads installed to replace some rusty ones, a couple of plumbers mentioned converting the system to zone valves. What exactly does this mean and is it worth the extra expense? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm having some rads installed to replace some rusty ones, a couple of plumbers mentioned converting the system to zone valves. What exactly does this mean and is it worth the extra expense? Thank you
Current building regs require two zones, but only on new installations or where an existing installation is completely ripped out (including the pipes) and replaced.

If you are having just the rads replaced there is no requirement to convert to two zones. The job, in any case would be fairly complex as it involves running new pipes and installing separate controls for each zone.

The 'plumbers' are just trying to make work, and money, for themselves.

It would be more cost effective to have a Thermostatic Valve fitted to every rad in the house, except for the room where the wall thermostat is located.

Two zones are normally used to seperately time the sleeping areas from the living areas. Typically upstairs/downstairs. That can give a useful saving in heating costs.

Its normally only done in medium/larger properties over 150 sq m.

TRVs should normally be fitted to all replacement radiators but they dont do the same thing as zoning.

Ideally when its drained for work fit TRVs to all the rads and an auto bypass valve if needed by the boiler/controls. Properly used they will pay for themselves in a couple of years.

These plumbers are not just looking for work but giving you valuable energy efficiency advice to save you heating costs.

Tony

These plumbers are not just looking for work but giving you valuable energy efficiency advice to save you heating costs.
That all very well, in theory, but it assumes a complete separation of the two zones, so no heat is transferred from the hotter zone to the cooler.

Even the relevant government department advises that you should use two zones only if it is cost effective. See Zoning Requirements

Im with CBF I think they have suggested TRVs and not zone valves

No no its not TRV's I have them already to be fittred. Basically one plumber said that its a bit late to do it no as the system is already in place, another two suggesed putting in zone valves for another £700 on top of the £700 already quoted. I live in a standard 1930's 3 bed semi, its not a big property Id say at present. I was thinking both ways are they out to make money and is it worth the extra cost or is it a good thing to have. What sort of scenarios would they be ued? i.e during the day upstairs heating all off, but downstairs on? Would TRVs not do this effectively?

Regards

Mke

I certainly wouldn't spend £700 on zoning a 1930's 3 bed semi.

Spend the money instead on insulation.

Nothing wrong with zone vales IF the current plumbing layout suits it - if you are really lucky then it might not be a lot of work. If there's an upstairs circuit and a downstairs circuit already, then it's really just a question of where they separate.
It will also mean modifying the controls.

Still, £700 does sound a like a lot :eek: It either means it's a complicated job (don't bother) or they are trying to "load the bill" more than a bit (don't use them). £500-£600 covers a fair few man hours :rolleyes:

I think you all might be missing a point....

He might not have any zone valves, on the hot water or central heating.

I.e no thermostat on the hotwater tank and no room stat.

We had a system installed like this on our family home when i was young by servo warm , no zone valves, just a manual lever in the airing cupboard to turn off the heating and the timer just controlled the boiler inside it.

Zone valves allow you to have separate electronic thermostats/timers to control the heat in different parts of the house e.g. the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living rooms and the bedrooms on separate thermostats. This is common in new properties with underfloor heating, depends if you'd prefer to control separate rooms differently. TRV's (valves on the radiators themselves) only adjust the temperature of the radiator, they don't control whether the boiler is running or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back