Zs live Testing - does everyone do it?

Sponsored Links
A bell and battery will not show up a high resisatnce joint - unless your ears are finely tuned to the volume of the bell!

A bell and battery will not show up a high resisatnce joint - unless your ears are finely tuned to the volume of the bell!

Have you seen my bell & battery - its a pretty advanced piece of kit.

Mine you, it may not be as good as the high current; 4 terminal; temperature compensated; super calibrated; low resistance ohmmeter you no doubt use. I bet it cost you £5K - if not you are probably wasting your time :D.

Sponsored Links
I have got one of those, but I don't use it for installation testing. It's used for measuring the resistance of induction coils. icon_wink.gif

Thats me stuffed then :D.

Chaps, chaps we're starting to bicker like plumbers!!!!

So who does not do R1+R2?
Who doesn't do it first?
And who does not record it on the schedule?
And, if so why does the specimen schedule in BS7671 have it on?

Does anyone do there R1+R2 at the furthest point only? (that is assuming they know the furthest point in advance and obv a little difficult to know exactly on a ring final)

The more tests with fancy words the better, makes us sound really smart (which of course we are being top of the trades) and can crush a know it all diyer type, no offence to those nice diyers

With professionals involved in discussions also :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly. Not many DIY'ers have contributed to this four page thread.

Anyway, whilst carrying out an initial verification, R1+R2 is my first test. I take a measurement at every point on the circuit, switches included and record it on the schedule of test results.

Does anyone do there R1+R2 at the furthest point only? (that is assuming they know the furthest point in advance and obv a little difficult to know exactly on a ring final)
I thought the whole point was that you trundled round measuring at each point, and recorded the highest on the schedule?

More interestoing would be to know how many of you, having just installed a pristine ring final, go around and measure at each point, or even what you know is the mid point, or do you do it at the origin and divide by 4?

The more tests with fancy words the better, makes us sound really smart (which of course we are being top of the trades)
No - steeplejack, surely?

With professionals involved in discussions also :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly. Not many DIY'ers have contributed to this four page thread.

Anyway, whilst carrying out an initial verification, R1+R2 is my first test. I take a measurement at every point on the circuit, switches included and record it on the schedule of test results.

I have pointed out the weakness in this test method and alluded to the fact that this has largely come about because a simple test for continuity has been turned into a low resistance measurement. GN3 suggests a measuring range of 0.2 to 2 ohms and a resolution of at least 0.01 for digital instruments.

Now does this make any sense - consider the following

1) What does knowing the resistance of R1 + R2 tell us about the safety of the circuit under test?
2) Does an R1 + R2 test prove that a circuit is fit for purpose?
3) Why is a 0.01 resolution specified - this suggests that the site based test method will produce results that are accurate - will it?
4) What is the resolution required of an analogue instrument and should it be acceptable if it is different?

Now if we use a bell & battery we could arrange for this to only respond when a test current of a predetermine value flows at a specified output voltage. This is relatively easy to do using solid state electronics - we could even have different tones for different resistance thresholds :D.

The bell & battery can be positioned at the distribution board - this ensures that we read along the required path and eliminates the problem I have demonstrated. This has the further advantage that the battery can be much larger and could be capable of delivering a much higher test current than a hand held instrument.

That is OK for small installations where we can hear the bell throughout the site. Now for the larger installation we need to think laterally - a bell & battery does not need to be a bell and battery in the same place. The battery (the heavy bit) can be at the distribution board and the bell could be carried around the site :D.

So some food for thought - now to all who intend to contribute - try to consider this as an alternative engineering solution, rather than a challenge to your manhood :D.

1) What does knowing the resistance of R1 + R2 tell us about the safety of the circuit under test?
2) Does an R1 + R2 test prove that a circuit is fit for purpose?
3) Why is a 0.01 resolution specified - this suggests that the site based test method will produce results that are accurate - will it?
4) What is the resolution required of an analogue instrument and should it be acceptable if it is different?
1) The combined resistance of the phase and CPC, that we have continuity of both (but as I said before not necesserilly the correct polarity).
2) Not on it's own but it gives you an indication when added to Ze if the circuit under test has a low enough efli before you even get to the point of energizing it.
3) The max efli values for an OCPD are given to 2 decimal places so it would make sense that we need to have acuracy to 0.01 ohms.
4) I'd expect you to need one which gives an accurate resolution so the reading is of value, i.e. an ohm meter which only measures in K ohms will not be accurate enough to measure a value required to be added to Ze to give Zs. If you decided to use a wheatstone brigde we could drive amps through it :D

Spark123
We seem to be on our own - still here is my answer to your points. I don't expect you to see the light and give up this nasty habit (testing r1 + r2 that is :D) - but give my responses some consideration.

Q1) What does knowing the resistance of R1 + R2 tell us about the safety of the circuit under test?
A1) The combined resistance of the phase and CPC, that we have continuity of both (but as I said before not necessarily the correct polarity).

Response 1
It does indeed, but why on earth would we want to know that :D. I say again, what does that tell us about the safety of the circuit?

So what does it tell us about anything?
That the circuit, which is just part of the Earth Fault Loop Path (EFLP,)is continuous. This is confirmed (NOT :D) by the massive test current that is all of 0.2A. The fact that part of the circuit might be connected by no more than a single fine strand of wire is not detected.

Now some, not the contributors to this forum I hasten to add, will insist that this measurement is the be all and end all of safety checks, that an installation is unsafe if it is not taken and recorded - regardless of whether such action is of any use, or even possible (i.e. parallel paths).

Q2) Does an R1 + R2 test prove that a circuit is fit for purpose?
A2) Not on it's own but it gives you an indication when added to Ze if the circuit under test has a low enough efli before you even get to the point of energizing it.

Response 2
Consider the situation where we are using ADS with overcurrent protective devices (OPD) used as the dis-connector. This is generally TN installations. We need to know if the impedance of the EFLP is low enough to operate our chosen OPD in the required disconnection time.

R1+R2 is part of the circuit but not all. The value of R1+R2 may or may not be a major factor - this will depend on whether there are any parallel paths to R2, and if so, how reliable they are. Now in the PVCTWE world that is domestic wiring, parallel paths will either be fortuitous or via an appliance such as a water heater. The latter can be eliminated on small installation for both initial verification and periodic inspection if required. The former, may not be found, but might be suspected - they usually cannot be eliminated.

Now what is the purpose that this EFLP must be fit for?
It is to carry a current limited only by the impedance of the EFLP.

This is:
(i) R1 + R2 and any parallel paths
(ii) Ze

Note that Zs = Ze + R1 + R2 is not a valid equation, the best you can say is that there is a relationship between the parameters.

Ze being the total impedance external to the installation - this includes the impedance of the supply transformer, the supply cables and the bonding of all of your neighbours on a TN system :D.

So in the domestic arena a typical fault current might be around 2kA. Still we have tested part of our circuit with 0.2A, so that is alright then :D (PS: Don't start me on loop impedance testers, we would be here all day :D)

Does R1 + R2 testing prove fitness for purpose - you jest of course.

Q3) Why is a 0.01 resolution specified - this suggests that the site based test method will produce results that are accurate - will it?
A3) The max efli values for an OCPD are given to 2 decimal places so it would make sense that we need to have accuracy to 0.01 ohms.

Response 3
Site based testing can introduce errors as high as 30% - for confirmation look at the standards for the instruments and at the specifications produced by some of the more responsible manufacturers. If you look hard enough you will find that this is the case. Note that when you send your instruments away for calibration they are checked against a resistor. The test may not even use your worn out test leads (croc clips). In an installation you are not testing a resistor - you are testing a load of cable that runs off in various directions picking up noise signals and generating thermal emfs. You connect to this using croc clips - need I say more :D.

The results you obtain are then compared against a table in BS 7671. The source of the data is the characteristic curves in appendix 3. These are BS curves, so worst case approximations, not actual manufacturers' data. They are log log making high resolution reading virtually impossible. The figures obtained from the APP3 data are used to calculate an impedance (well resistance really in small installations). They are presented as maxima for a fully loaded cable and you are invited to use a crude temperature adjuster to account for the difference in temperature on load and under test conditions.

Do you still think a two decimal place resolution has any meaning :D.

Q4) What is the resolution required of an analogue instrument and should it be acceptable if it is different?
A4) I'd expect you to need one which gives an accurate resolution so the reading is of value, i.e. an ohm meter which only measures in K ohms will not be accurate enough to measure a value required to be added to Ze to give Zs. If you decided to use a wheatstone brigde we could drive amps through it

Response 4
See response 3 - IMO the authors of GN3 have simply not addressed this issue.

Where to start!!
Yes - I know the 200mA is a bit less than what the circuit will be taking however it does give an indication before energization that there is a R1+R2 path. This is verified later using the EFLI tester (which only delivers about 10A) which given most circuits will have a fault current many times this - you may also consider inappropriate. iirc a normal EFLI tester is only considered good for a circuit upto somewhere around 50A?? Yet we use it to measure Ze which is usually a 100A circuit, I suppose as it is subfeeding lower circuit isn't so bad.
30% isn't a very good figure to work to on calibration too - having worked on things like PRTs (platinum resistance thermometers) that would never work!
The R1+R2 reading is a worse case scenario given that before energizing you have the opportunity to test without any parallel paths on the circuit under test. Parallel paths can be found in domestics on things like the CPC connecting the boiler connected to the MEB via pipework, supplementary bonding in bathrooms, upstairs downstairs lighting arrangements, lighting circuit CPCs mixed up with socket circuit CPCs in kitchen lighting arrangements etc.
When added to Ze the R1+R2 gives a better indication IMO that the efli without any incidental parallel paths within the premises will be low enough.

OK - I did say that I didn't expect you to see the light and give up R1 + R2 testing :D.

However, I hope I have been able to provide you with some 'food for thought' - you may even begin to realise the limitations of the test. That said most of the tests we do are limited in some way and if dismiss them all we will have no data to aid assessment.

The trick is to understand the possible errors and to use test results to support the far more important activity of inspection.

We could of course develop more valid tests - the trouble is they tend to kill customers and set fire to installations - so maybe we had better not :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back