Miele T4809C tumble dryer not heating up

Not really.....
Re-set the thermostat. Does the dryer work on a timed cycle? (not auto).

Sponsored Links
Not really.....
Re-set the thermostat. Does the dryer work on a timed cycle? (not auto).

OK, re-set the thermostat and put on the "Warm air" setting. Seems to be running through that cycle OK (now in "Cooling down" phase with 6 minutes left.)

Ok, run a couple of cycles with a wet load on "time" only & see how it works out. If that functions ok then there is a problem with the residual dampness circuit.

Ok, run a couple of cycles with a wet load on "time" only & see how it works out. If that functions ok then there is a problem with the residual dampness circuit.

Yup, it runs fine on timed "Warm air".

One thing I forgot to mention was that the machine was making a slightly odd creaking sound towards the end of a couple of the cycles where it had appeared otherwise to be working. Now, in order to dry the test load from last night I ended up running this timed programme 3 times. Towards the end it was making this odd creaking sound again. I stopped it and opened the door and not suprisingly it was pretty hot and the clothes were give or take dry. Is it possble that "residual dampness circuit" your mention was allowing the machine to overheat as I was in running it on timed programmes repeatedly? This all seems to make sense and presumably the creaking is just what it does when "running dry", with the thermstat eventually popping.

So, what is the procedure and what parts do I need now?

Finally thanks again, but if you could also give an opinion on the general reliability of these condensing dryers it might help us decide if it's worth the cost of repair.

Sponsored Links
If it works fine on a timed cycle then there is something wrong with the residual dampness circuit. Under the lid on the RH side is a small electronic unit with 3 relays on it. This unit controls all of the auto heat cycles. It receives control voltage via the main pcb & senses load dampness through a carbon brush running on the outside of the drum. I would suspect one of three things is happening...A: the small electronic unit is defective, B: the relays are not receiving control voltage from the main pcb, C: there is something wrong with the carbon brush assembly or associated wiring (very rare). So I would assume one of the first two is causing grief. Unless you find obvious component damage you need a wiring diagram & multimeter to check communication/control voltage to the small pcb. As for the creaking sound, well that could be anything...bearings, felt seals, thermal expansion, etc.
I know some versions of these machines have had a problem with bad relays on the small pcb. Whether yours is one of them I'm not sure.
I don't know where you want to go from here. Parts are VERY expensive, the main pcb costs over £300, the small one around £100. Before rushing out to buy spares you ought to check both NTC's. One is mounted on the heater box & the other in the air channel in the front of the machine.
Regarding your question about reliability; Miele is the best money can buy, but bear in mind...there is probably a very good reason why you got it cheap!

P.S. Please skip the quote button, it make a long thread MUCH longer :D

Yes, I was hopeful that a simple fix would turn it into a bargain, but obviously not!

Most of what you suggest is beyond my technical experience (I don't even own a multimeter!). However, if you could tell me what the NTC's you mention are, and how I check them it may be worth a go.

Hi I have read the posts and looks very helpful. I have an identical problem mine also has decided not to heat up now. I cleaned everything and now it still does not heat and if I start a programme it flashes cooling down very quickly after about a minuite. I do not have a panel on the back of mine?

can anyone help?

j3stn:
You don't have the same type. Start a new thread & state the full model details.

Vital:
There are two NTC's, one is on the heater bank next to the thermostat (this rarely fails). The other one is mounted behind the front panel & monitors drying air temperature. The front panel has to be removed to get to it. It isn't a big job but you still need a multimeter to check an NTC. Both NTC's should measure around 14kohm at 20C. When warmed to 70-80C the resistance should drop sharply to around 2kohms. I suppose you could take a chance & change it. At a whopping £60 this is the cheapest fix you'll get, you never know you may be lucky. Otherwise if you have to start changing pcb's it will cost mega-bucks.
Here is the front NTC http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=1906174&query=3887588

Thanks, I'll have a think about what to do. If I have any more questions I'll come back to you! You have been most helpful, thanks so much.

I've had a miele t4809c (with the led display) - the same as the one in this discussion - from new about 3 and half years ago. It starts up ok, spins but after about 5 mins it starts beeping and the 'cooling down' flashes continuously. Nothing in the dryer warms up and the air blowing out of the bottom front vent is stone cold.

I read this and thought i'd found the solution - i took of the back panel, checked the thermostat and its a closed circuit so i'm guessing this means its fine. I checked the heating element - again the same - all seems fine.

I then tried the procedure zipper described to get the error code but i got exactly the same one as vital ie -1316 in sequence.

I tried setting it to the following cycle - 'Normal' - and 'Cottons' which i think is a timed cycle rather than using 'automatic'. But, it still only runs for around 5 mins cold before beeping and flashing 'cooling down'.

If anyone has any suggestions i'd be really grateful, really don't want to risk a big call out charge then scrapping it because the parts to fix were too expensive! Cheers

Sorry to post on an old thread but I just wanted to say a big thanks. I had a problem with our Miele dryer not heating up, thanks to a great video I saw online and this thread I just fixed it! Saved £200 atleast or thinking of buying a new one-£700! I took the back off and one of the long springs in the element had broken. I tied it up and reset the thermostat by banging it, hey presto. I am a bit worried about the bodge job though on the springs ie will they overheat or something, do you think it is safe? If so, I'll have to buy another element. Still saved though so thanks!! ;)

Ok...so you have the version with LCD display (T4809"CI")...then you should be seeing an error code at this point?
Try this: Turn off & close the door. Press and hold in the Start/Stop button. Switch on. As soon as the Start/Stop button flashes release it. Then immediately press it 3 times...at the 3rd press hold it in for 4-5 seconds until the Start/Stop button surround flashes at 1 Hz.
Note...all the above has to be completed within 10 seconds.
If you get this far press the start button once more & let me know what happens. At some point you should get an error code (could be anything from F1 to F66).

I have done it and came up with " -1316"

Just a quick thanks to those that replied on this thread.
I had a similar problem with my Miele T4859Ci and used the knocking about of the thermostat to get it to reset.
Much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back