Do I need a flue inspection hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had some conflicting advice and would be grateful for some info from those that know about these things.... I have a J&S warm air unit in the utility room. The flue goes up through the ceiling, runs through the airing cupboard (boxed in) and then runs up through the loft (all open) and out of the roof. My neighbours gas engineer told them that we need to expose the flue in the airing cupboard to meet the new regulations. However, the BG engineer that inspects our system every year has told me that this is not required as my boiler falls outside of the new regulations - he says that it is only sealed units and not my type of boiler that it applies to. I just wondered who is correct here. Thank you very much indeed.

Sponsored Links
If it is room sealed it will fall into the new regulations for TB008 which require the flue to be accessible, From your description it would appear that your appliance is open flue, so would not need access hatches put in as these flues are checked in a different way.

If it is room sealed it will fall into the new regulations for TB008 which require the flue to be accessible, From your description it would appear that your appliance is open flue, so would not need access hatches put in as these flues are checked in a different way.

So it looks like the BG engineer is correct - we do not need to do anything.

Thank you very much indeed.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid your boiler should fall within the new regs....it applies to all boiler types, gas or oil. As long as the sections that are boxed in are accessible for inspection you should be ok..sounds like its only the boxing in the airing cup'd? It applies to all joints and changes in direction.
On the flip side...if the BG engineer is willing to take responsibilty for it, thats down to him, not you. Should you use anyone else in the future, be prepared to hear that you need access panels.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info DrPlumb - now I am confused - some saying we need them and some saying we don't. However, I am not sure how it would work exposing the flue in the airing cupboard. This is boxed in very tight and I am not sure if the flue might be asbestos so I would not be looking to expose that in the airing cupboard? I guess I will just have to wait and see what BG say on the next inspection. Thanks again for your help

M1key00 is correct the new regulations only concern room sealed fan flued appliances and not open flued appliances and your warm air unit is open flued.

Have a look at http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/flues_in_voids.aspx

On this page you will find the words
Some properties, mainly flats and apartments, have been built with boiler flues which cannot be inspected because they are hidden behind walls or ceilings. The boiler flues that this information relates to are connected to room-sealed fan assisted boilers.

Your warm air unit is not a room sealed appliance.

Well if drplumb is correct then my mum will need hatches fitted to the chimmney so the flue from her baxi bermuda 15 year old back /fire boiler can be inspected.

I'm afraid your boiler should fall within the new regs....it applies to all boiler types, gas or oil. As long as the sections that are boxed in are accessible for inspection you should be ok..sounds like its only the boxing in the airing cup'd? It applies to all joints and changes in direction.
On the flip side...if the BG engineer is willing to take responsibilty for it, thats down to him, not you. Should you use anyone else in the future, be prepared to hear that you need access panels.

Hope this helps!

it wont help as the advice is wrong

surely hatches would be needed for this installation as flue joints need to be checked for leakage when chimney smokebombed?

Nope open flued appliances are not included in TB008 only fan flued, not that I personnally agree with it but that what the reg says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back