support under joists

S

snadge

im busy installing a new floor in kitchen and the joists are just sitting on the plates (wood) - not going into block work - just loose and there are no supports underneath - the old floor was quite bouncy and washing machine vibrated really bad - I was thinking of putting something under the joists in like 4 sections - underneath the joists is a raised concrete mound (flat) - i was expecting to see SOME supports but was shocked to find none - which explained why the washer nearly brings the house down - the last owner had problems with major leaks from washer and i think that might be why..to much movement breaking seals perhaps...

any ideas welcome

thanks

Sponsored Links
What size are the joists and how far do they span unsupported?

You can either upgrade them or build in a couple of small brick pillars or a sleeper wall off of the oversite.
You may only require a run of noggins down the middle.

All washing machines vibrate badly and shake the house, especially on a 1200 spin. (never go above 400 me)

3 meter spans about 400mm apart - I was thinking along the lines of 4 pillars with brick/block

Assuming this is 4x2? Break up the span halfway with a honeycombed wall.

Sponsored Links
I pillar per joist?

You've said 3m span, but how many joists? and what size are they?

No noggins then? 7x2's should be ok over 3m span. If the floor is currently up that will make it bit bouncy too.

If your that bothered don't put pillars under each one, use a couple of pillars, blocks laid flat would be easiest, breaking it up into 3 sections, and run a 6x3 under the lot mid span, sitting on the pillars. The add a couple of runs of noggins, insulation between the joists (highly recommended!) 18mm wbp ply screwed down every 200mm and you'll be good for tiling.

If you're not tiling you'll get away with just the noggins tbh.

If you're not tiling you'll get away with just the noggins tbh.
Noggins or herringbone struts (wood or metal). Not only do they keep the joists vertical under load, they also increase its stiffness (except for the first mode). Use end blocks to tie the side joists to the walls.

http://www.luton.gov.uk/Media Libra...ning/Building Control/TRADA timber floors.pdf

Thicker floorboards are another way to increase floor stiffness.

I like your idea of extra support under the washer.

i too agree with building 2-3 pillars and running a wall plate underneath the orriginal floor,1 tip if you are going down this route to make sure you take the weight off the wall plate use a coulpe of car jacks/or similar to prop the plate to the underside and then build the peirs up to the plate,leave untill its dry then lower the plate floor down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back