Sharia law

Has anyone approached you and told you you will suffer eternal damnation?
Did you believe them?
edited by me :rolleyes:

Only the odd jehovas watsit, who were obiously given short shrift. But you can't drive past a church without seeing the threats wrote large on huge signs for all to see.
Obviously I don't believe them, but there are many who do, or who are too frightened to actively disbelieve them more to the point.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone approached you and told you you will suffer eternal damnation?
Did you believe them?
edited by me :rolleyes:

Only the odd jehovas watsit, who were obiously given short shrift. But you can't drive past a church without seeing the threats wrote large on huge signs for all to see.
Obviously I don't believe them, but there are many who do, or who are too frightened to actively disbelieve them more to the point.

That is a fault with the individual, not the religion.
It could be said that religion prays on the weak minded , the hopeless, the needy but they do get comfort among other things in return.
I personally feel that religion should be a personal thing and you should not be tied into any kind of constitution.

Why base your life on a falsehood?

If people accepted that really we are all here by fantastic chance and the wonder of evolution you would have ALL people singing from the same HYMN SHEET ;)

@Thatbloke as an Irishman surely you can see the divisions and ingrained violence catalysed by religeous belief?

religeous People live a blinkered life when the actual reality of Human existence is a miracle in itself.

You know most of the immoral, hypocritical two faced people I have ever met claim to be 'DEEPLY' religeous..( DIFFERENT DEPTHS of religeous belief is something i find hard to understand)

I will give you 2 versions of the same example, years ago i worked in BRUM the muslim elders campaigned against the high level of prostitution in the Basall Heath Area ....The prostitutes who worked there said the same old men campaining in the street were regular customers!

Exactly the same thing has happened in Stamford Hill North London only this time it was men from the large Hassidic Jewish population

Its just nonsense, religeon is not the only way to find peace in this world I have never been religeous despite having to go to church as a child i always though it was c@@p

I have seen some horrific things and like most have lost people close to me ,, yet i have never turned to the good book for comfort i would rather read the BEANO AT LEAST ITS FUNNY!

The two examples you gave were political , not religious.
The indifference between people I witnessed in Ireland was also politics dressed up in religion.
Every body bases their life on religion , well every body who knows right from wrong , or it may be that religion has based itself on these fundamental rules , thou shalt not kill , love your neighbour etc etc.
If everybody accepted that there should be no politics in religion and that people will have different faiths and we need to respect this then this also could lead us to a better way of life.
You have your own beliefs SC , you shouldn't scorn others.
Its OK to be an atheist but you should also let other people be what they want to be without question , it's only fair.

Sponsored Links
The indifference between people I witnessed in Ireland was also politics dressed up in religion.
Every body bases their life on religion , well every body who knows right from wrong , or it may be that religion has based itself on these fundamental rules , thou shalt not kill , love your neighbour etc etc.
If everybody accepted that there should be no politics in religion and that people will have different faiths and we need to respect this then this also could lead us to a better way of life.
Its OK to be an atheist but you should also let other people be what they want to be without question , it's only fair.
Sorry fella, that is total carp IMHO. It's not political, it was religious.
I have no problem whatsoever if people want to believe in a ' God ' if it gives them comfort, then that is OK by me.
You stated in another thread that religion doesn't cause wars, or to that effect - take a look at Northern Ireland and say that again.

quote spacecat
You know most of the immoral, hypocritical two faced people I have ever met claim to be 'DEEPLY' religious.

I do agree there spacecat that there are lots of people like that, and yet these are the ones claim that they are the chosen few....that's what really gets me.

thatbloke....surely its ok to make an observation about people we have met in life and to form an opinion.

Sorry fella, that is total carp IMHO. It's not political, it was religious.
I have no problem whatsoever if people want to believe in a ' God ' if it gives them comfort, then that is OK by me.
You stated in another thread that religion doesn't cause wars, or to that effect - take a look at Northern Ireland and say that again.

That was a political war, religion doesn't cause wars , men cause wars in the name of religion.
No religion states ''thou shalt go out and have a war with thy neighbouring religions'' If anything it is quite the opposite , ''thou shalt love they neighbour'' so to say religion causes wars is too sweeping a statement to have any credibility, men cause wars, situations cause wars.
If there is religious tension pushing people to war it is caused by exactly the same kind of thing happening here, people questioning other peoples faith although I am sure it is more complicated than that.

quote spacecat
You know most of the immoral, hypocritical two faced people I have ever met claim to be 'DEEPLY' religious.

I do agree there spacecat that there are lots of people like that, and yet these are the ones claim that they are the chosen few....that's what really gets me.

thatbloke....surely its ok to make an observation about people we have met in life and to form an opinion.

I am sure it is Susie, but to form an opinion on an entire religion? And if these two guys were two faced what has being deeply religious got to do with it? Are two faced people not allowed to be religious? Does it really matter? Do I care? :LOL:

does it really matter and do I really care
actually you read my mind ....I was just thinking exactly the same thing :) :)

I am going to stick to word games ..... life is so simple there :LOL: :LOL:

I am going to stick to my wine and music i think, busy day tomorrow with an early start so I best get a move on.

I am going to stick to my wine and music i think, busy day tomorrow with an early start so I best get a move on.
......... and there's me thinking that you were a good Muslim guy that didn't drink - how churlish of me.

spacecat said:
The human body has many faults which can be directly linked back to its earlier forms evolutionary wise

Lets educate a little shall we

We have problematic backs a race because our backs are not fully designed to stand straight they are based on an animal that walks on all fours

we have the remnants of a tail bone in our pelvis

webbing between fingers and toes

far more body fat than many other land animals

The list goes ON AND ON!

How about 'balls' on the outside? :eek: :eek: :eek: I know it's a trade-off between the advantages of a higher body temperature and the need to keep sperm cool but, if you're the designer, why not make heat resistant sperm? :cool: :cool: :cool:

Every other body cavity cleans itself out with mucus so why does the womb use blood? Not only is it valuable stuff; it's a magnet to predators. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then there's the thermostat that lets birds and mammals stay active while reptiles slow to a crawl. It works fine until hypothermia sets in - then it kills you! :evil: :evil: :evil: What kind of crackpot design is that? All your other body parts continue to function as the temperature drops; it's the thermostat itself that pulls the plug. I used to be a design engineer and if I'd done a job like that my name would be mud! :oops: :oops: :oops:

But let's not stop with what we've got. If you have a free hand to build a life form from scratch, why not do a better job from the outset. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Let's start with a potentially fatal weakness in all animals; their limited ability to store oxygen. Your body can store enough food to last you for weeks but how long can you hold your breath? There has to be a way round this. Metabolizing chloride into chlorate is one possibility (though I'm prepared to have some biochemist tell me it can't be done).

The heart is an obvious weakness so let's distribute pumps throughout the circulatory system and fit shut-off valves that close to stem any major blood loss - and it goes without saying that total tissue regeneration should come as standard. :D :D :D

Then there's bones. Phosphate is so weak. :( :( :( Carbonate is tougher and silicate better still, especially if you add a titanium core.

And what about the nervous system? All a nerve fibre has to do is pass an electrical signal down its length and yet it's so slow. We could move - and think - many times faster if we had metallic conductors instead.

I could go on but I'd end up with a fictitious species that will inhabit the Earth in the year 4,000,000,000 AD --- :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Sponsored Links
Back