Sharia law

It's preciousness is what makes it SO dangerous

you only have to look at the history of mankind to see the destructive and violent power of religious belief, and it's as bad today as it's ever been

It's not just muslims there are extremists in all religions US christian fundamentalists come to mind

Just think how much bloodshed in the history of the world would have been avoided if there was NO religion

Sponsored Links
Why are you all having a go at this guy because of his religion or because he is religious?
Isnt it better to accept the fact that someone does believe in god and live and let live?

Yes at least IronNaz has come into this discussion, and whatever our views we should respect his belief and question but not be abusive about it.
All religion has discrepancies that can be pointed out by taking single verses out of context....as IronNaz has just pointed out about the bible.
I know that to people who do practice a faith it is a very precious thing to them and we should remember that.

People seem to think it makes them clever to question such things , it doesnt , it's disrespectful and childish and the very reason there is so much hatred in this world.
People think that because they are not religious they can say what they like and not be responsible.
Its really quite pathetic.

It's preciousness is what makes it SO dangerous

you only have to look at the history of mankind to see the destructive and violent power of religious belief, and it's as bad today as it's ever been

It's not just muslims there are extremists in all religions US christian fundamentalists come to mind

Just think how much bloodshed in the history of the world would have been avoided if there was NO religion

And those that would scorn religion are just as bad SC,
Religion did not cause bloodshed , people caused that.

You know what get me is people, including some on here , will not have r4eligion forced upon them however they are quite happy to force their anti religious views upon a religious person and mock them and their faith.
That is just as bad in my view.

Sponsored Links
"If there were no God it would be necessary to invent him" - Voltaire

Shame we can`t have a sensible discussion about Islam :confused:

There is nothing wrong in discussing it, I love good religious discussion. I just think you have to listen to another point of view even if you don't agree with it.
i have just read a very interesting book called Love Wins it speaks of a god who ultimately embraces all faiths. It seems incredibly sensible, why should any one religion be the only way to find god and why should the people who follow it be 'the chosen few'

The concept of God may be man made , it may not, however intelligent design can be seen to prove that we were indeed ''made'' so to speak.
Parts of the universe and some 'components' here on earth can not have come to be through evolution.
Perhaps not designed by a ''god'' but designed all the same by something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&cp=1...gc.r_pw.&fp=42c36fc8de204fb4&biw=1024&bih=487

Science proves that there could be a ''God'' after all. It doesnt have to be a guy with a beard sitting on a cloud playing a harp or a god as we perceive it but there is something in this.

"Intelligent design" is nothing to do with Science. It's simply the belief that we were 'popped' into existance by a god rather than evolved as science has proven.

And while I agree with you suziejb, that no posters should be abused or have their point of view suppressed, I do not agree that their religious beliefs should not be questioned. It's precisely that reason that that sort of thing has been allowed to propogate. ie 'dont question the inconsistancies, just have faith"

There are so many religions in the world but one common theme that recurs through all of them, is the demand for fidelity to that particular one. Muslims and Christians have already decided not to believe in Thor, Budda, the big Ju Ju up the mountain......why not go one step further and believe in no gods, because it's so plainly a load of rubbish.

"Intelligent design" is nothing to do with Science. It's simply the belief that we were 'popped' into existance by a god rather than evolved as science has proven.

And while I agree with you suziejb, that no posters should be abused or have their point of view suppressed, I do not agree that their religious beliefs should not be questioned. It's precisely that reason that that sort of thing has been allowed to propogate. ie 'dont question the inconsistancies, just have faith"

There are so many religions in the world but one common theme that recurs through all of them, is the demand for fidelity to that particular one. Muslims and Christians have already decided not to believe in Thor, Budda, the big Ju Ju up the mountain......why not go one step further and believe in no gods, because it's so plainly a load of rubbish.

Intelligent design has everything to do with science but I suppose it depends on how you see it and your own personal beliefs.

So , tell me , if your mother or father was on their death bed and told you it was ok they were going to see you when you came to meet them in heaven you would question their belief?

Or the little girl who believes her dead family are waiting for her in heaven , would you break the bad news to her and tell her it was all questionable and perhaps not true?

Or,

Would you decide to bite your tongue and leave people to be at peace with their beliefs?
Because those are the two options you would have under those circumstances.

I totally agree cajar, yes, I think we should question it. as you said the theme of all religions is that only they are right.
This to me is quite absurd....if a god is capable of casting the sun, moon, and stars into the universe ..... he is tremendous, and to me the god of all religions is far too small.

Ahhh the emotional blackmail argument eh, of course in the examples you quote most people would bite their lip. Belief in the almighty may bring comfort to many, that doesn't make it true, and it's precisely that belief/fear that's been so successfully exploited over the millenia.

Intelligent design has everything to do with science but I suppose it depends on how you see it and your own personal beliefs.

So , tell me , if your mother or father was on their death bed and told you it was ok they were going to see you when you came to meet them in heaven you would question their belief?

Or the little girl who believes her dead family are waiting for her in heaven , would you break the bad news to her and tell her it was all questionable and perhaps not true?

Or,

Would you decide to bite your tongue and leave people to be at peace with their beliefs?
Because those are the two options you would have under those circumstances.

What about a young man who is about to fly a plane into a skyscraper because he believes he will be adored in an afterlife?

What about the parents of a young girl who did not summon medical help because they believed in the power of prayer to heal her? (she died btw)

Wouldn't you question those beliefs? I certainly hope so. I can provide emotional and morally jarring examples too, but such examples for either side have nothing to do with whether its true or not. Surely that is reason alone for questioning it.

Si I think we can all agree that to discuss religion with someone is OK however to question to the point of making somebody feel uncomfortable , ridiculed etc etc isnt such a good idea.
Then ontop of that telling someone their god does not exist is just bad form and in some peoples views it is confrontational, it's not something I would do to a person and I believe to question a persons faith should be avoided.[/i]

Si I think we can all agree that to discuss religion with someone is OK however to question to the point of making somebody feel uncomfortable , ridiculed etc etc isnt such a good idea.
Then ontop of that telling someone their god does not exist is just bad form and in some peoples views it is confrontational, it's not something I would do to a person and I believe to question a persons faith should be avoided.[/i]

Of course having various religions questioning peoples lack of faith, and telling them that they will suffer eternal damnations for it is perfectly acceptable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course having various religions questioning peoples lack of faith, and telling them that they will suffer eternal damnations for it is perfectly acceptable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course not , but then again do you go around peoples doors telling them god does not exist? no? why? because you do not want to force your4 beliefs onto someone else do you?

Has anyone approached you and told you you will suffer internal damnation?
Did you believe them?

lol , edit - not internal damnation , eternal damnation. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back