Differences in UK and US........

A straight to the point, from the hip question.

What sort of lifestyle could a guy expect living in your area with a net (after tax) income of say US$3,000 per month?
Own home ? 1 car or more? or penury?
;)

Sponsored Links
Another question, how you do the amercian retire and at what age?

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
I hear terms like quid (money?)
Specifically one pound. A pretty exact equivalent for us as your word "buck".

and b*****r(don't have a clue)
"Bugger". It's actually quite a mild expletive, much less offensive than "f***", and you can usually say to someone "You've buggered that up" (meaning you've made a mistake, or broken it) where you'd never dream of saying "You've f***ed that up".

It's odd, really, given the proper meaning of the word. "Buggery" is the act of anal intercourse, and lest the mods start getting all upset about my use of this word, I'd like to point out to them that it is the word used in Acts of Parliament which deal with such things, and I'd like them to consider how ridiculous it would be for them to say that the text of UK laws is not fit to be quoted here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugger

A common expression when people are really surprised by something is "Bugger me", but rarely should it be taken as a literal invitation... :eek:

hermes said:
You have funny accents and eat pancakes for breakfast!

but have you tried them? they are delicious (but they are noting like pancakes you have with lemon juice)

..you say potarto we say potato..hang on..thats not right is it? ;) :eek:

breezer said:
but have you tried them? they are delicious (but they are noting like pancakes you have with lemon juice)
Similar to Scotch pancakes, (sometimes called griddle scones ?), but sweeter.

As you say, very nice, but it takes a while to get used to the combination of eggs, bacon, pancakes and maple syrup on the same plate. :confused:

And talking of which, there's a very important difference. We have nice bacon......

Many things I like and dislike about the states but you have got to admit they have the greatest philosopher of the 21st century. No, not George Bush ?

Homer Simpson :mad:

where do I start? You all probably know more about american history than I do. The way I see it, based on the story of pilgrims and indians, we all either came from one side or the other and most would agree it would be better to come from the pilgrim side, because in the end, we stole the land from the indians and now they live on reservations and life is hard in general or so I think(dunno really) and the pilgrims came from everywhere else in their big boats. Dunno where Dundee is. Potatoes (po-tay-to) and tomatoes( toe-may-toes) is what we say unless you're in the "deep" south where they say taters and maters. Life is simple in the south. I would guess that as a whole-about 1 in 4 families make about 30,000 dollars a year (sounds too low to me) and if you are lucky you can retire at the age of 65. What do you eat for breakfast? Just about anything goes here-I rarely eat pancakes, myself but I've never heard of lemon juice and pancakes.

Sponsored Links
Back