Differences in UK and US........

Sponsored Links
I love the quick wit that is found in british comedies--they air on public tv but the biggest obstacle that I personally have is listening as fast as they are talking-sarcasm is rampant it seems and yet among my peers, it is lost-if I could just get past the accents (and yet you might have some difficulty with my southern dialect)

I agree but think the American sense of humour is getting better. My favourite has to be Al Bundy even though some of the topical parts mean little to us.

mlb3c, talking about humour how does John Valby go down in the US? ;) He would go down a treat with some on here. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
well, notb....depending where you land here (TN)....you might not say the same thing....sometimes it feels Im on a different planet---so many cultures in a very small area-food, dress, habits, speech---we're all different--I 'm just very curious about you all.....yet don't want to come across like po dunk from where ever you would call it.

well, duh.....I looked up John Valby on google---never heard of him--I think the raciest persona would be Howard Stern ....anything to do with sex...seems to upset the apple cart..of course keep in mind that TN is considered to be in the middle of the "Bible belt" in this country so it doesn't take much to be considered "off color" and yes in true contradiction, we do have the death penalty, but it has always been a controversial subject. Shoot, for that matter, we just recently in the past year got a state lottery and that's been controversial as well.

You can't anwer posts until the evening, 'cos you're probably still asleep.

mlb3c said:
Yankee Workshop-old fashion way of creating beauty out of raw wood--set I think in Pennsylvania Dutch country-Tennessee is a little on the old fashioned side of life (I think)

Which was originally 'colonised' by Germans calling themselfs Deutch (in their own language), but that sounded too much as the well-known (even then) name given to people from The Netherlands (or Holland if you insist)
We, the real Dutch, have had nothing to do with Pennsylvania :D :D (We don't ware leather hosen ;) ;) )

there is a big diff in time-Im writing this before I leave for work and it's 415AM-and normally Im home around 3p. I stumbled onto this forum by accident and couldn't figure out :rolleyes: why everyone talked "funny".oops. so, last night I was looking on different BBC sites to try and get an idea of the differences, but lo and behold-it was sorta foreign, too because they were representing themselves as trying to describe americans and their lingo and such....I found myself saying "I don't know anyone who talks like that" I hear terms like quid (money?) and bugger(don't have a clue)--I'm just curious is all. And I guess also, it's interesting to hear your perceptions of this country--but I'm from TN and that's just a small portion of a whole country-folks from here are quite different from lets say Texas or Wisconsin or California--it would feel foreign to me.-sorry about the second word-guess it's a descriptive curse word??

mlb3c, Just a general question.
Your not related to anyone 'Scotch' are you?
It's just that, when I occasionally go to the US (Houston) Everybody I bump into, claims to be descendants or have relations who come from Dundee!!.... now I can understand people immigrating from Dundee.... but to publicly claim to have a connection with the place is beyond me.. :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back