Kitchen Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after info on how close sockets, light switches, fused switches, etc can be installed to a sink unit. I've heard that you must not be able to touch them and the sink at the same time. If this is true, does it count for all types of sink, or just stainless steel?
If it is true, it could prove troublesome, as it doesn't seem to matter where I plan to put the sink, I can reach almost anywhere due to the dimensions and shape of the kitchen area.
Same question goes for installations near an electric cooker.
Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I know not of any regulation giving minimum distances from cookers or sinks for the mounting of electrical accessories, but no doubt someone else may be able to offer something.

Hi, there was a big debate about this on the Screwfix forum recently. I pulled this reply from the debate, if you want to read more, go to the forum and search for these keywords; kitchen sink socket distance
Hope this helps!

How close to a sink can a socket-outlet be installed?

BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink.

Regulation 512-06-01 requires due account to be taken of all external influences. The Regulation requires all equipment to be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation is to take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.

Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. The NICEIC recommends that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are unlikely to be splashed.

Where circumstances require a BS 1363 socket-outlet or other accessory to be installed in a wet
location, a splash-proof accessory or an accessory having protection to IPX4 should be
considered. However, in a domestic kitchen, the industrial appearance of a splash-proof
socket-outlet is likely to be unacceptable and a standard socket-outlet located a safe distance
away is usually the preferred solution.

Hi

basic rule of thumb is out of reach - so more than arms length.

If you check out bs761 it refers to special locations and zones - not having it to hand at the minute(`sin the van :rolleyes: ) you should be able to
find out a bit more by referring to that.

Good luck,

Ed

Sponsored Links
ed998 said:
...basic rule of thumb is out of reach - so more than arms length...

... which is nigh-on impossible in many kitchens.

Benthebuilder's response is a good summary of what is generally acceptable and incidentally the length of a kettle's flex is restricted so that a socket outlet that is more than 300mm horizontally from the edge of a kitchen sink should make it impractical to fill a corded kettle while it is plugged in - not a lot of people know that! ;)

Thanks everyone :D

I like the sound of the 300mm rule as it is a recommendation by the NICEIC and suits the kitchen layout.

Failing that, I'll only allow people with short arms in the kitchen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back